Friday, May 1, 2009

Day 9 Lubbock T.X. song: Cryin', Waitin', Hopin' - Buddy Holly


I rolled into Lubbock texas around 11 a.m. The home of Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks, Pat Green, Waylon Jennings and of course Buddy Holly.

First order of business was to get me a hair cut, I wanted to look even sharper than before. The barber was straight out of the fifties, they way I like it. She gave me the run down on the town and told me what it was about. There are no sports out there but there is plenty of music in town. It has three colleges, one baptist, one Christian and Texas Tech. I picked up good vibes from Lubbock and I suspected this is going to be a good day.

I walked into the legendary radio station KDAV, the first station to ever play Buddy Holly and one of the first to ever play Rock n' Roll. And Waylon Jennings himself used to work there as a DJ. This place has some serious MoJo. The program director Bud Lite had a sit down interview with me. He did a lot of the talking. Most of it. An obscene amount of it. He told me everything I didn't need to know about anything. For well over an hour. But he was a nice old man who was talking to me at a radio station, so I sat and listened. I then asked him if he could review my material, and he said, "Hail NO." "I don't listen ta anathin' on demand, and nobody will, thas good advice. I just don't have time to listen. But if ya leeve it wit me, I'll listen to it when I got time" He then proceeded to tell about the time he met Frank Zappa. This took another 30 minutes. The story was about how he was ultimately in the right place at the right time. He told me I was about ten times sharper than most people comin' into broadcasting trying to get a job. He said, "you'll do jus fiiine. I already know you're good, I have worked long enough in da business to know." I wasn't sure he even knew what my voice sounded like yet. But he told me not to give up, what I am doing is inspirational and that I have what radio needs to save it, passion. He then intro duced me to Joe the day time jock. Bud was a man of few words compared to Joe. Joe proceeded to talk non-stop for nearly two hours while sat there with a furowed brow nodding arbitrarily. He spouted off almost every town in america that has a radio station, he may has well read me the phone book. I caught myself pleading with God, that if he got me out of this one soon, I will be a much better listener to everyone. But I couldn't let any sign that they weren't important enough for me show, they were going to listen to my material and call me later. So, I had to take it.

Before I couldn't barely get anybody to give me five minutes of their time. Once again I began to wonder why I am doing all of this. Why am I trying so hard to do broadcasting. What is in it for my future family.

Before I left Lubbock, I went into the Buddy Holly Museum. It was real nice and well done. I read all about the things of Buddy Holly that I didn't know which before I didn't think was very much. One thing in particular that I didn't read about, is that Buddy was no overnight sensation. Like all of the other fabled stories of the early rockers, Buddy paid his dues. He worked hard and slaved for his craft. He didn't make it on his raw talent alone. He worked hard and got his name out there unil he was in the right place at the right time.

Scripture: Amos 5:13 "Therefore the prudent shall keep silence in that time; for it is an evil time."

1 comment:

  1. Haha, remember that night when we went down the street from my apartment to the art exhibit and there was an open radio station. You talked for hours to the DJs that were around, and I was just content to be near you when you were displaying such a passion for something you obviously love so much. That was the first time I had ever heard of voice classes for broadcasters...I still think that is kind of funny. I took speech to overcome an impediment, and there are people out there who want to take classes to know how to project their voice better, etc. Just kind of funny to me. Glad today went better though than yesterday...or I guess yesterday?

    ReplyDelete