Monday, May 4, 2009

Day 13 Austin T.X. song: Straight to Hell - Drivin' and Cryin'

I slept last night in an area, that has no name, but is near Gladewater TX. My old roomate Ben from BYUI wanted to come along with me on the trip and drive me to south east Texas. For those of you who have read Jack Keroac's novel "On The Road", Ben is like my Dean Moriary, my seedy travel companion.

He also gave me my first road connection to a woman in TV broadcasting. I spoke with this woman who had formally been in broadcasting and is no longer in the business, but she was able to give me sound advice that I have never recieved before in the world of broadcasting. For one, I may chew on the idea of selling my latin roots by going by the name Randy Casteneda (Mother's maiden name). Many other great hints as well. I am starting to get a little more key information to tell me how to sell and how to search out where I am going.

Ben and I got a late start to Austin. We checked out the University of Texas, which is massive. It makes my alma mater seem more like a highschool. And when I walked the halls, I didn't feel too much older than everybody.

We also got to check out what is know to be the highest Bat population in all of the United States fly over a park for hours.

We spent most of the day getting lost even with our GPS but I think we got about as much out of town as we wanted. The town is very big, and real pretty. Its easy to walk the streets. However, people have been telling me for years I would love Austin. They say its very liberal and has a great music scene. As I walked the main drag where the music scene is, I thought about how people told me, "Randy, Austin is soooo you!", I began to wonder what it is I seem to stand for. Was it all the tatoo parlours and bars that made people say that? I really don't know. This made me write down that I need to evaluate some things about me later.

We checked out 6th street where all the music happens. It must have been white blues trio night, because we saw about six bands and five of them where white blues trios. I realize it only a monday night, but if I was to move to a place based entirely on the music scene, Austin I do not think would be the place. However this is place is very cool and the weather was beautiful, I may love it for other reasons, if I could give it a chance, but I didn't get that innate sense when I come into a city that I feel like i could someday call it home.

Anywho, tomorrow is another day. Lets see what San Antonio has in store.

Scripture: proverbs 20:27 "The Spirit of man is the candle of the Lord, searching all the inward parts of the belly."

1 comment:

  1. Austin is beautiful. My uncle helped build the stadium for the University of Texas, among numerous other places around Austin. He just loved that city and the places he helped build, and I loved that he loved it so much. For a Monday night the music scene was probably one of the best in the nation.

    ReplyDelete