Friday, May 15, 2009

Day 24 Nashville T.N. song: Grand Ole Opry Ain't So Grand - Hank Williams 3rd


Today I woke up to the sound of traffic on the freeway on my lame campsite, but with all that nyquil, I was sound as a pound during the night.

I went to the Grand Ole Opry, Oddly enough in the time that I lived in nashville (when I was around 18 years old) I never went there. But they wanted 15 dollars to go in. And I thought, HECK NO, they wouldn't even let Hank Williams or Johnny Cash play there. They didn't let the rebels of country music play there. Just the drug store cowboys. I said the samething to myself when I saw the country music hall of fame. I just didn't feel like going in, it just didn't feel right, but this time, I didn't really have an answer for that.

So in my disgust of the country music scene I went straight to the country music row where it all gets manufactured armed with a Air-check of me ramping up new country music. The contact I had to contact wasn't real good about calling me back, so I had to just go ahead and show up, but to no avail, everybody takes wierd times for lunch breaks in radio I guess. But I dropped off my material and hoped for the best. Then I went to the main drag of music row and parked nearly a mile from it because there is no parking anywhere unless you have a pass. I got lost in the streets on foot looking for music row for a long time in the sweltering heat going up a steep hill. But that didn't matter because out of nowhere it began pooring rain. For those of you from California, you should know that when it rains in the south, its like nothing you'll ever experience in california, its much more intense.
Finally I found GAC (great american country) to try a job with them. They wouldn't let me in the building, I had to talk to a box. They referred me to their website for employment. The problem with that is, almost nobody in several months has ever responded to an e-mail. So I went to sony records, same story, then several other record companies, same story. I decided that receptionists in this town are given a psyche profile test that makes sure they have the ability to behave like lifeless robots. I was getting nowhere in my hours of searching. I didn't know what else to do.
Finally I found a sports radio station, I walked in and immediately was speaking with one of the programmers for the station. He told me the same thing I have known for years, "Radio used to be great until the telecommunications act in '94. Now, one company can own several radio stations in one market. So there has been a slow transition of consolidation and things are being run by business men in New York who don't know a *$*%& thing about radio. That and with this recession, car dealerships are not buying the adversing which was most of everyradio stations revenue. The only way to get in is to start in a small market and work your way up. But most of the small markets are working automation these days. Us radio people are a dying breed, those who are left are getting fed up and the world is just different now. Your probably better off doing something else."
I responded tough, but inside I was feeling emotions of defeat, "Sir, with all due respect, I have more than paid my dues, and nobody is going to scare me out of what it is I want to do. I will not settle for anything less than what I deserve. Thank you for your time."
He came back with, "Now hold on a second, give me that resume and air-check. I want to listen to it, even if it is for a music format. I like you, I shouldn't make you want to give up. Here's my card, call me monday, I'll listen your material and make sure a few others do too. And I want you to e-mail me when you are finished with your journey and tell me what you find. I really didn't mean to scare you off. Keep tryin' you will make it." I have heard that multiple times too.

I walked out to more pooring rain and a mile now from my car in a direction I wasn't sure of. Sure enough like in a movie, a car splashes water all over me, (not that it mattered at that point) then I had a leutenant Dan moment as I shouted at the buildings in Music Row, "Is the best you got! HUH? HUH? BECAUSE I GOT A LOT MORE!!!" Now that I had my little goofy outburst I sat on a bench under a tree while the rain lightened up. I began to take deep breaths and I closed my eyes and said a prayer. When I was done I sat a while longer and pondered until the rain was fully gone. When the sun began to poke its way through, I got up and noticed on the bench an ad for one more station I didn't go to. It was called "Lightning 100" I quikly called 411 and put the address on my GPS and away I went. I went to their building that looked like an old train station that was hit by a missile. they were definately independent, so I had a chance. The receptionist told me,"You know, they are actually thinking they might need a fill in guy. I will pass this on and we'll let you know. Don't give up, you'll find something."

Lightning 100 may not be the answer, who knows? But I felt better after that experience, and since i spent so little that day, I decided to treat myself to dinner at the French Quaters Cafe. This is a place where the tourist don't generally go, and it only plays blues, soul, and Jazz. I was the only white guy there. Its a place I used to hang out when I was 18, probably because its one of the few places and underage guy could go for music and cause I used to play the occasional blues jam. I couldn't believe I used to hang out at a place like that, with so much mojo, now I can see why I am so cool. I had a chill evening with some live soul, a burger and a squirt, and am going to sleep happy. Tomorrow is another day.

scripture: Romans 2:7 "To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality , eternal life."

1 comment:

  1. That reminds me of "Murder on Music Row."

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgiILl_F7O8


    Ben

    ReplyDelete