Monday, May 25, 2009

Day 33 Nags Head N.C. song: Love Stinks - J. Geils Band

I woke up in the parkinglot close to the beach. While I was grooming myself for church out of my trunk I was shaving, applying calone, deorderant and mopping my hair, people were looking at me funny parked in the same lot dragging their beach toys while I was in my suit.

Church was held at a little branch building. They managed to accomodate nearly 700 people in this little building for church. It was wierd. They had people stuffed in every room for sacrament. I was in the hall way that was filled to the brim with chairs. This may have been my favorite sacrament meeting on this trip and I will tell you why.
The speakers were recently returned Mission Presidents. They spoke on the seriousness of preparing for marriage and morality. The wife said, "A young man called me this weekend asking to stay with us, because he didn't want to stay in houses that the people were renting out for the week. Even with the best of intentions, real bad things can be happening." I had a hard time not laughing out loud when I saw how wide eyed everyone got. Maybe I shouldn't be laughing, but I saw so many faces of uneasyness go on everyones face. I was just glad that I was exempt.

I spent the remainder of the day with my new friend Amy. I felt the need to try and get to know her more. She was just too interesting to pass up.
We went to a house gathering with 500 of the hosts closest friends showed up to have an accoustic concert where many of the guitar playing dudes were entertaining. Of course, I realize it was the sabbath, so you want it to be low-key. But one complaint I have always had with LDS guitar players is that they never come to the show armed ready to Rock the Casbah. The night was filled with flouncing nellys on accoustic guitars singing corny love songs. I wasn't on the list so I couldn't put my money where my mouth was, but when I got the idea of how the night was we left early.

Amy and I had a great time. We established that in another time and place, there could have been some real potential for us. But unfortunately, I am on the road, and she is making a life for herself in D.C. The funny thing was about us is that, we are so similar. We are completely ready to gamble on our lives, and our future, but never again will we gamble on love. We both knew that the next person we date seriously we hope to be the one. We both had our fair share of hard knocks and frustrations and don't take lightly to the subject of dating. We know that we do the best we can and hope for the best, and smile through the pain.

We left things on terms that seem to say, "who knows, possibly maybe......could happen....I guess". We were both ok with that. We are both old enough to know better than to bank what two days of being aquainted would offer. But, I am sure glad we met, it really put a fun spin on my journey. Like Joe Strummer from the Clash once said, "the future is unwritten."

scripture: Romans 5: 3
And not oly so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience."

No comments:

Post a Comment