Friday, May 15, 2009

Day 23 Nashville T.N. song: City Boy - Keb Mo


This morning I was supposed to speak to a radio persona at Flinn broadcasting. He must have forgotten about the appointment because he left early. No worries, I left him my material and I will hope for the best. I can't wait in this area in any longer, I must keep moving.

I drove through the lush state of Tennessee. I stoped for gas in a tiny little truckstop town and I noticed a billboard saying "Loretta Lynn's Dude ranch... 5 miles ahead. I thought to myself, what the heck, why not. I drove out to see it and I am glad I did. I discovered what may be the most beautiful peace of land in existence. Easily the most precious land on this trip. The rolling hills couldn't have been painted better, the trees would make Bob Ross weep, and the little lakes and creeks were mouth watering. I never really knew what I imagined heaven to look like, but now I think it looks like that. Now, I am not the kind of guy who goes all spiritual when I see an impressive sight of nature, I usually just think, "Cool" and move on. But this place almost made me emotional, and there was nobody in sight, it was like I had it all to myself. I half expected to turn around and see Johnny Cash sitting on a stump dressed in white singing, and welcoming me to the kingdom.
I checked the camping rates out there and they were cheap. I heavily considered it, but I decided I am way late on this trip as it is, I must keep going forward, but I will return someday.

I rolled into Nashville KOA and I felt like Micheal Douglas in Falling Down, "WHAT DO YOU MEAN 38 DOLLARS FOR A SINGLE CAMPGROUND!!!" The woman said, "because we lawk yoo, were gunna cut choo a deal. We have a storage area you can camp on foh 27 dollars, but cha don't get access to much, would cha lawk thaat?" I didn't have much choice at this point, my place to stay in this town didn't pan out. But the camp site sucked out loud. It was on basically a gravel pile only 5o yards from the freeway over pass. Lesson learned, Never go to the Nashville KOA ever again. Tomorrow I will find another way.

I went to the Main drag of nashville. Because I spent so much money on KOA, I didn't have money for anything else on todays budget. So I found the club where Cross Canadian Ragweed was playing. I love them, and I have never seen them. But I didn't have 15 bucks. So I sat out side and listened to them. Then I found another place across town where GWAR was playing. This was a bit more affordable. But I have a theory about GWAR. You should never watch GWAR a second time. (I saw them ten years ago, and I loved it). So I hit broadway in Nashville. I had a similar feeling that I had in Memphis, I don't know how I loved it so much in the past. Instead of Juke Joints, it was honky tonks. Accept, the Honky Tonks don't play as good music as the Juke Joints. I had no interest in hanging out at the bars. Which is funny because when I lived there at 18 years old, thats all I wanted to do. Nashville seemed like It was one seedy bar after the next with pop country cover bands and women who have an ironic way of dealing with low self-esteem.

So I walked on the river front. The riverfront is awesome. This is the place where I met the girl who gave me my first kiss. So I once had some good luck on this spot. But, then I remembered, it was the girl who wound up with Jim Carrey.
So I met some musicians out there trying to write in their solitude. They were trying to absorb the lonliness and channel it into corny pop country. I would have subtley made fun of them, but then I thought of my own plight and decided I wasn't in a position to make fun.

Anywho, I made some connections that I am going to explore tomorrow..... Thats All I got

Scripture: Romans 9: 22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much long suffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction.

1 comment:

  1. "Ironic ways of dealing with their low self-esteem" Haha, comedic gold! Excellent way of phrasing that!

    ReplyDelete