Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Day 14 San Antonio T.X. song: Is Anybody Going to San Antone - Charlie Pride


This morning I played the Legendary Gruene Hall in Gruene Texas (pronounced Green). This is the oldest country dance hall in texas and one of the oldest in America, built in 1909. Many great artists have recorded live albums there. The town of Gruene is by far my favorite little town thus far. A bit of a touristy place but not real well known.

I stopped by the Outlaw country station in the next town over called New Braunfel. I spoke with the program director who was excited to hear my story. She like everyone, didn't have time to listen right then, but I could tell she was intrigued. She gave me the look like I was a sign of hope. She told me, "Don't, Don't Don't give up. You are coming at this in the worst time ever, but I think you will make it through. You got some bawlls to do what y'er doin'. I will definately get in contact with you later. Thank you for comin' by."
I have found that I have put a lot of smiles on the faces of radio broadcasters by telling them what I am doing. I'm glad to know that the people on the inside are rootin' for me.

In San Antonio we saw the Alamo. A monument to a battle lost by the United States of America to the Mexican's. It's really actually pretty depressing, but now I get what they mean by "remember the Alamo." But this is what made it an interesting place to visit during Cinco De Mayo. San Antonio is the only town that had a healthy amount of Tex Mex that I had been lookin' for. The texas pride was a little less in your face, and it felt a little less touristy.

We saw the river walk, which is really great, except I was with a dude. It's not a real cool place for a couple of dudes. The weather was also at 90 percent humidity on a 96 degree day. Since we didn't want to be in the main drags of San Antone while the party hit, we heard the party scene in San Antone for holiday's had been very much effected by the economy.
We stopped at a resturaunt to eat, it was at a seafood place called "Dicks". The dude at the bar kept making inappropriate jokes about us. He then proceeded to have us sit at a table and gave us some gay jokes. Ben and I decided to leave angrily, we were their only customers and they had the audacity to deliberately insult us when all we wanted to do is eat. A cook came out after us asking if their was anything we could do, and I replied, "Its too late for that."
Later we found out that "Dicks" is a chain and the idea is that you are supposed to get insulted by the employees, and you as the customer are supposed to give it right back.

So my seedy travel companion Ben and I went to see the San Antonio Temple and then to the LDS Institute to see what they might be doing. Unfortunately we came up with nothing, but I realize how good it is for me to have Ben for this stretch of Texas, he can keep me out of trouble.

Ben graduated a semester before I did. He had a job in D.C. that fell from under his feet right before it was go time. He has also been trapped hitting the pavement from this recession. He is really hoping and praying for the best as well, but eventually it seems to ware on his how much of an uphill mountain this could be. Him and I are both heavily considering the Military as an avenue of employment for the next stretch of our lives. Not something we wanted to do originally, but everyday it seems to look better.

Ben and I had a couple of deep discussions about our plight and our generation, and decided that one of the biggest problems of our generation is people's refusal to grow-up and become an adult. I felt bad, I wonder how much time did I spend in La La land trying to figure out what it is I wanted, or how much time I am spending now.

Jarrod's Aunt in San Antonio put us up for the night. She is an absolute delight and gave us beds. I cherish every bed I get on this trip. But I seem to get more beds than I don't. Sheila (Jarrod's aunt) insisted that she gave me 40 dollars for gas on the road. When I tried not to let her she told me, "No, I admire what you're doing, I was young too once, I want you to make it, and to really find what it is you're looking for."
I have heard that sentence a lot on this trip. I really hope not to dissapoint anyone.


Tomorrow we have another place to stay in Corpus Christie. Wish me Luck.

scripture: Samuel 3:19 "And Samuel grew and the Lord was with him, and did let none of his words fall to the ground."

No comments:

Post a Comment