Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Day 22 Tupelo M.S. song: Pink Houses - John Melencamp


You're gonna want to read this one.

I spent most of the day sleeping. I thought today would be completely uneventful. I have been trying to recover from my cold and trying to sleep it to death. Which seemed to be working. Since I was feeling fine, I decided to go to the Elvis museum in Tupelo M.S. where he was born. The museum was pretty cool, a lot of fun. But I got to go in his house, which was only two rooms, and tiny. He lived in a very humble little home in Tupelo, he barey had anything, not even a bathroom. But he seemed to make due. One thing always tripps me out about Elvis is that the people loved him litterally to death. I think he went a bit crazy in the end for a lot of reasons but one is that everyone was so obsessed with every nook and cranny of his life. Yet people don't give up. He makes more dead than I think he did when he was alive. However, there is one thing I have to love about everything is that he is the Ultimate example of the American Dream. He went litterally from rags to riches. And he earned it, and definately paid the price for sucess.

I was also intrigued by the little old woman Gwen who was the lady who waits you're arrival at his house. She was sweet and told me anything about Elvis. She works there simply to be close to the history, she loves it. She loves her job, and thats all there is too it, even though it probably doesn't pay very good, she gets to sit in Elvis's home all day long.

I walked around the back area where there was a park Elvis played at, I hung out there and played my guitar and sang some Elvis my self. I was absorbing the mojo in the air.

I then went back to Memphis, because I have a lead I need to follow there in the morining at a radio station. Also Because, I wanted to watch the Dempseys play. The Dempseys are a rockabilly trio. You hear it from me the musical snob, THEY ARE THE MOST TALENTED BAND I HAVE EVER SEEN NEXT TO VAN HALEN. They litterally have mastered their craft. They are far superior musicians than anybody I have ever seen, I had to take my hat off in their presence. They have an intensity that I can't even fathom, they are the greatest examples of dudes doing what they love for a living, I have ever imagined.

I spoke with them in between sets at the blues city resturaunt. I told them the last time I saw them was when Jim Carrey walked in. (if you don't know the Jim Carrey story, ask me sometime) As soon as I jogged their memory, I had their attention. They wondered about that night. They were amazed to hear me tell the story. The bassist said, "Oh I remember that, you mustuf felt like hail." I suddenly had a wedding singer moment.

They played on through the night and they played willy Nelson's "On the Road Again" for me and the guitarist threw me his pick. I put it in my MoJo bag. Then they decided to bring me up on stage and tell everyone the story."Everybody, this Randy Peterson from SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA, he's the best looking guy in this place tonight, but does he have some bad luck with the women, he has one great story to tell y'all. And we can vouch this stories authenticity because, we were there."
Mind you.... this was a huge crowd. They set up the story for me and had me tell it and the crowd ATE IT UP. I had so much dang practice telling that story that I had gotten real good at it.
"Better luck this time in Memphis, dang! Its not that he's better lookin' than yoo, its jus that hees got more money. Don't be offended by it. But choo a nice guy with a nice smile, y'oull find someone. Hey everybody, he's SINGLE!." the crowd thundered with laughter, claps and whistles from both women and men. And a multitude of older single women came from nowhere and arose from their tables to get a better shot at me.

One gift I have always had has been the ability to laugh at my own bad luck. Which I guess is a good thing.

scripture 2nd corinthians 7:4 Great is my boldness of speech toward you, great is my glorying of you:I am filled with comfort, I am exceeding joyful in all our tribulation.

1 comment: