Saturday, May 23, 2009

Day 31 Virginia Beach V.A. song: Breakdown - Guns n' Roses

Late morning, late start. I spent an unneccessarily long time in D.C. Traffic. They say that L.A. is worse, but I have driven my fair share in L.A. and I have never experienced traffic as rediculas. One thing that makes traffic a little more boring in the east coast is that there are so many darn trees. You never get a sense of where you are when you are in hours of traffic, because it all looks the same. It provides nice shade of course, but it looks the same everywhere you go.

Finally I managed get out of dodge and I went to a town called Williamsburg VA. Because I was in traffic for 3 hours, I missed the office hours of the local radio station I was going to contact, so I left them my material and hoped for the best. But the town is funny. Its got a well preserved (or faux) colonial district, where there are people dressed like its the 17 hundreds doing demonstrations and reinactments. At first I was a little un impressed, but when I turned one little seedy lookin' ally way into another section of town, it was like I went into a colonial Narnia. Except, I was greeted by a sweet college girl in a colonial outfit churning butter with a look on her face that said, "It wasn't always like this." Williamsburg was really nice, I was only dissapointed that they didn't have the witch hunt reinactment, but it was a giant tourist trap, which I am losing my thirst for.

Then I crused to Virgina Beach. I really didn't know what to expect, but since I knew nothing about it, I thought it was going to be a classy and scenic beach............... I was wrong... The beach was deligtfully seedy, it was the biggest most profitable beach town I had ever seen by far. I felt like I was in MTV...... Not really my kind of place believe it or not. But, I came there knowing there was going to be an event that was put on by the local radio stations, my job was to get in there and meet the cast.

The show was free concert with country stars Steve Azar and Keith Anderson. A couple of country pop pretty boys with ugly bands to make them look better. The place was crawling with scandalous friday night cowgirls going crazy for the tunes. If I had a cowboy hat and a tight shirt I could have made some friends real fast. But what could we possibly talk about?....But I couldn't complain, the show was free. I quickly went to the radio booth and spoke with promotions guy scott, and his words were, "I'm sawry, we got nuthin here at our station, all five of them. I've been trying to get iin as a jock as well fer two years. The only jocks left after the recession storm are the ones who have been doin' it for fifteen years. Thats iit. We only have one live show out of four stations. Most everything else is either automated or piped in from somewhere else. I too graduated from college recently and they are telling me that am going to wait and pay my dues. I am 45 grand in debt and I have done promotions for 2 years. I'm done with this. Maybe you could have my job, I don't know how long I'll be at this for."

I almost wanted to buy an icecream to make him feel better, but he is the first guy that "I" actually wished "Good luck dude, I hope you get what you deserve."

I didn't actually go to the beach, it was dark and there was too many people looking for trouble in that town. I decided to go somewhere else. When I got in my car my Mom called. She informed me that our dog Murray passed on. I didn't take it real well. I decided I didn't want to hit the campground just yet and I didn't want to be at the boardwalk. So I just drove. Carefully, cautiously, but aimlessly. I just took the country roads south. I decided to go somewhere I wasn't planning on going. To North Caralina. I just went. I drove with the window down trying to relax.

My friend Stephanie gave me a tip that Wal-Mart parkinglots are sanctioned for sleeping in your car. So I when I arrived in northcaralina at 2 am I sat in a parkinglot at wal-mart, (the only use I have for wal mart) and did nothing. I promised myself, no matter how hard the trip got, I would never get down on myself, I would never get furios, I would never get discouraged and quit and I would never breakdown. But, I didn't see the passing of Murray, and I couldn't be there for it. I know he was old, I know he was in pain and I know he is in a better place and yaw yaw yaw yaw...... But, it still hurts like hell. I allowed myself to shed some tears and vow tomorrow will be better. tomorrow will be better.

scripture:TBD

3 comments:

  1. Always darkest before the light... and always lightest after the dark... like when someone turns on the lights at 3am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still cry about not being there when Joey had to be put to sleep because the cancer had spread to far and she was just suffering too much. I wish my parents hadn't told me any details-- it made it harder. That was a dark time in my mission life...I am so sorry about Murray's passing. He was such a good dog! Joseph Smith always said that he couldn't imagine a heaven without his horse though, so I have faith animals go straight there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in Williamsburg and Virginia Beach this past weekend as well. The beach is a little seedy, but it's home :) Williamsburg is amazing though, we went on a ghost tour after dusk, and it seriously opened up my eyes to what you miss in history class. There is so much to see there. Did you go to the William and Mary campus? I was listening to their college DJ's and was super disappointed by them. Good luck on your trip!

    ReplyDelete