Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Day 27 Grayson Lake KY song: Can't Always Get What You Want - The Rolling Stones


This morning My GPS broke down. It had become an instrument that I now able to say to myself, “How did I live without one?” So today I got lost several times looking for the nearest Big O’ Tires to get my tires rotated and oil changed, brakes checked and apparently I needed a new battery. They operate a little slower out here in the south so I spent a good chunk of my day waiting for all these services to be done. Because of the situation where the big O tires was placed, I couldn’t go anywhere, so I was forced to sit in their little chair area and watch what must have been a marathon of , The View..... So far the day was not going well.

Hours later it all got done and GPS tech support helped me fix my problem. Now it was 2 o’clock. I drove through Louisville, and I didn’t have the desire to search for a job. Not that it wasn’t a nice town. It was actually a relief to see a southern city that wasn’t a massive parody of how red neck it was. Its just that, I didn’t want to stay in a city anymore. I just felt sick and wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible, I didn’t even go into the Louisville Slugger museum that I wanted to see.

It didn’t look like I was going to have a place to stay in West Virginia so I found another camp ground by a lake in east Kentucky. It was cheap, (because I don’t think I can afford the KOA’s anymore in the east) and I had a lot of space, in a great campsite.

I didn’t make it too far today, I had no cell phone signal and no internet, which I was actually not bothered in the slightest by. What I did find, is exactly what I was looking for that I didn’t know what I was looking for. A place quiet where I could think. I camped out a short hike from a lake that was almost better than what Bob Ross could paint. It was humble, but perfect, un-corrupted by man. I found a spot there where I just knelt and prayed. This is something I have been dying to do for a while in this trip, is to have my own personal space to reflect, without traffic, or other people around. I wanted to have a day like Enos where I just prayed all day. Which, I was pretty close too. I sat there for several hours pondering what I am doing. Haunted by the question Argo from Elvis Radio told me, “Why is it you want to do broadcasting? Is it because you want to be famous? Or is it because you have something to say?” What has been bothering me about that question is not that I don’t have anything to say, or that I even care about fame anymore, its just that, my question has not been “Is that really why I am doing this? Do I care that much about broadcasting anymore? Has the novelty run its course in my life? Is that whats really gonna make me happy?” Amoung many other things, those are some of the questions I pondered for what must have been several hours.

I sat there until the sun was completely gone and I had to navigate in the dark back to my camp ground. I was lost for a while, but I wasn’t worried, I found my way eventually. I am going to keep most of my findings personal, But I came out knowing that I am doing the right thing, I am on the right path, and there is still hope out there.

On a side note, I want to thank those of you who have been reading these. I cherish every comment left and every time you read the blog. Without you, I don’t know I would have made it this far. Thank you.

Scripture: James 1:5

3 comments:

  1. Hey Randy! Did you know that you can park in a walmart parking lot overnight? You probably can't set up a tent, but it does afford a FREE place to stay. There are walmarts whose zones won't allow for it, but they will be posted. Just a tip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi you! Just wanted to let you know we're reading and thinking about you. Off in your own little sacred grove while I'm heading to my 3 hour english class...keep up the good work, you rolling stone.
    <3, whit and lars

    ReplyDelete
  3. Timing in my life has never been great-- I got the number today for the Dillistones in WV. So, if you were planning on going back that direction at all, or ever in the future, I at least have one phone number now...hopefully I'll be able to find my box when I go out to MO this summer (if I go actually)...Sorry again...:(

    ReplyDelete