Monday, May 11, 2009

Day 20 Memphis T.N. song: Heartbreak Hotel - Elvis Presley


This morning I woke up to some bad cold symptoms. I have been fighting this ever since I got to Little Rock. Now it began to worry me. Perhaps its the Swine Flu. If thats what it is, this will make an interesting twist on the story. Now its time for drugs and for me to swallow some pride and take some airborne.

My agenda today was to hit the ground runnin' like Van Halen. I had a lead on three radio stations that Eric Hasseltine gave me that I was going to hit up since clear Channel was no longer an option. Unfortunately one thing about the south, the people are very hospitibul, but when it comes to business, they act just as busy as anyone else. Nobody had time to talk to me today. Maybe another time. EVERY DARN STATION.

Since Memphis from front to back seem to have nothing for me, I thought maybe this is just not the place for me. Since I was here, I thought that I would hit up Graceland. Also I was going to camp behind Graceland, with a bunch of rich white Elvis fans with Winnobegos. Unfortunately no one told Coloner Tom Parker and Elvis that we are in a recession. Graceland cost 30 dollars for the cheapest tour. Not in my budget. So I went to Sun Record Studio where Rock n' Roll was born, the price of the tour was affordable, and this is where my day got interesting.

I stood in the very room where Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, B.B. King, Howlin' Wolf, Billy Lee Riley all recorded music. It was like the delivery room for rock n' roll where the infant came out. It had so much mojo that I had to take off my hat. Such amazing history took place that I was nearly speechless. However, my reverence was attenuated upon the observing the Tour guide.

The tour guide was a petite spunky girl from the deep south with sass and wit. Very cute. She knew her facts and was a very gifted tour guide. Which is funny, because I half way went in their to seek a job, but I don't know that I can match her standards. Now, I am old enough to know better than love at first sight, But I know that I got that feeling inside that people get when they confuse that feeling as I watched this chic. She seemed to know more about rock history than I do. And she could play guitar. I felt like I had met my match. I was intimidated, she went from being the girl next door to Cindy Crawford in my head in seconds. I spoke to her for a while and she is a dancer and a dreamer. I know there is no point to think about women on this trip, that is certainly why I am out here, but what the heck. I had nothing left on my agenda for the day, and I have nothing to lose. As scared as I was, I always felt my one skill with girls was never my wit, charm or body language, but my courage to attack, so I just went straight for it and asked. She gave me that look like I had half way made her day, and said, "I really can't, my boyfriend would not be pleased, but thank you soo much for asking."
I left with my shoulders high and grinning. I didn't care in the slightest that I got shot down. I was happy that I got the words out of my mouth. It was like a little moral victory for me to kill the bunny. I felt completely reenergized and ready to get back to work. I know it doesn't make sense, but I really just needed to know that I had the guts to do it. I can still take it. I remembered the quote from Rocky, "Its not about how hard you hit, its about how hard you can get hit, and keep movin' forward, how much you can take and keep moving forward. Thats how winning is done." Besides, I didn't have much in my budget for a mini-date anyway.

I found a little shop in the dark outskirts of Memphis where its crawling with dudes who talk to themselves very volatile like. On occasion I would want to break it up, but I didn't know where to stand. The shop was seedy and it was run but a mean old black man. He asked me about what I am looking for and where I am from. When I told him where I am from I asked him about him. He said, "My name is JOHNSON." He followed that by an awkward pause and an ominous look. I asked him if he sold MoJo. He said, "Yeah we got Mojo. What you need it foh?" I replied immediately with, "I am a drifter looking for a home." He grinnned and sold me a little bag full of roots and herbs and gave me the proper instruction. He then sold me some voodoo oils called "love potion number nine, Cross Roads and Find me a Job." "This should help ya fynd what yo lookin' foh. I got a feelin' 'bout you, you gonna do real goud. Don't settle for anything that don't make ya happey." I thanked Johnson and went on my way. I really don't have much faith in voodoo, but carrying some MoJo in my left pocket won't hurt any, I actually think it gave me some street cred, and seperated me from the rich white tourists.

I thought a lot about Elvis and Johnny Cash as I walked the streets of Memphis. They were no overnight sensation at all. Much like Buddy Holly, they had a lot of hard nights of hopelessness. But they never let up or gave up hope. They were talented yes, but not everyone was able to see that. I really think at the end of the day, what seperated Elvis and Johnny Cash from everyone else is heart. They had more heart than anybody, they believed in themselves, because if they didn't, no one else would. Their passion led them to greatness. I felt their ambition and spirit as I absorbed the atmosphere in Memphis.

I capped the night back at the campground right behind Graceland and the Heartbreak hotel in a little pic nic area that constantly plays Elvis music. Its awesome. I then recieved an e-mail from the program director in from the Classic Rock station in Little Rock. He was very impressed with my demo reel. He was sorry to inform me, he had nothing to offer me. But he wanted to let me know if he does get any opening, he promises to let me know. All in all, I thougt it was a great day. I look forward to facing my fear and working one more day in Memphis. Tomorrow is another day.

scripture 1st Corinthians 9:10

No comments:

Post a Comment