Saturday, May 30, 2009

Day 39 New York City song: New York - Frank Sinatra


This morning I recieved an e-mail from one of my broadcasting contacts out here in New York. It basically reads that there is no jobs available, there is nothing for me, they are laying people off and they are on a hiring freeze. Even here in New York, nobody is exempt. I don't know how it happens, but that is alarming. Still, I have heard that from every town in the United States, and it seems that there is no hope for a brighter future in sight. I guess if there was, people would stick it out and not lay people off. So, I guess I finally came to the conclusion that if it ever gets better, it won't be anytime soon. But I don't care. I don't have it in me to give up. Like Mr. Bowler in Washington D.C. told me, "You have to chase your dream, or else it is just a fantasy." I will not give up. I vowed to die standing up, and that is what I will do until there is nothing left.

I spoke with the main producer for the Fox show, Fox Friends about my plight. She interviewed me some more and got more photographs and video for the show. She was very nice and very polite. She even offered to give me a place to stay if I needed one and got me some food. When I told her, "You know so many station said they had no time for me and didn't even seem to care that I was just looking for a little of their time."
The producer Samantha said, "Its really only the people who are in small and medium markets who have big heads. Most people out here are not like that, they know what it is like to be in a small market."
It was really refreshing to hear that. Because I worked with big egos in Sacramento, I guess I figured they only got worse from their, but maybe not.

After I was done for the Day with Fox, the other producer Pilar and her good friend Caroline took me out on the town for a while. The took me to south seashore street. Pilar's friend Caroline let me drive her car all throughout New York city. It was AWESOME!!! I can't believe I drove through New York. And I was good, it wasn't bad at all. I could be a taxi driver here, no joke.
We parked by the dock. We spoke and hung out and talked about New York. They helped me realize that New York is not nearly as scary as I imagined. New York is a lot cooler than I ever would have thought. Pilar and Caroline were so friendly to me, just because they are glad to know and meet me.They even bought me a new fadora with a feather and taught me how to blend in as a street tough New Yorker. My hat said to them, "Yeeeh, I know Igotta fethuh, whatchoo gonna do 'boutit?" The day was perfect. Even if for some reason nothing comes out of my interview with Fox. I can't feel unsuccessful. I hung out with my great friend Anita and saw perhaps the most impressive city in the world. I met some warm and kind people who reached out to me and showed me love, just because that is who they are. Pilar even made me a dinner. This was one great day.

After wards Anita picked me up in a Cab. I got the New York Cab experience, also not as bad as advertised. And we went on a LDS singles cruise througout the city. I'll tell ya, if you ever go to New York, go on a night time yaught cruise. It was THE MOST impressive sight I had ever seen, it was like a gyroscope of lights that seem to come out at you. It was honestly breathtaking. We floated by the lit up statue of Liberty and it was beautiful. I loved it so much. I did a little bit of mingling. There was dancing and socializing. It was like a booze cruise with no booze. I had a good time dispite myself.

Afterwards a bunch of folks paid five bucks each to get a limo across town to a restuarant. I got window seat and I ate it up. I was on a New York High and the whole group of people in the limo with me whom I had just met, seemed to accept me immediately. It was awesome. I felt welcomed enough that If I moved to New York, I would have a lot of friends in no time. We all went to a resturaunt and bought milk shakes and talked, I got very comfortable, I felt completely in my element for the first time since I have been in New York. I really thought would hate New York. It may not be where I go, but I seem to have no trouble creating a path for myself out here. I am going to miss this place when I leave for Boston tomorrow night.
I will be on the show fox friends at 6 45 in the eastern time am. So that will be cool.

scripture: Ecclesiastes 2: 10

5 comments:

  1. RANDY RANDY RANDY!!! Mom saw you!!! She said you were AWESOME (and we're jealous, because we missed it because we don't have cable).
    She was very proud of you. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI - For you and those reading this blog - here's your story on Fox News - http://www.foxnews.com/search-results/m/22401160/cross-country-hunt.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randy! I saw the interview. You rocked it!! Congrats, and what a great thing-- They are having you back!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw you on TV! How cool is that?! Seriously, you did great! Can't wait to chat at you next time! Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Randy!!! I saw your vid as well. Great job!!!! I love New York. It's freaking sweet and they have the Yankees. You should have dropped by the new Stadium and gave it a shout out for me.

    ReplyDelete