Monday, June 1, 2009

Day 40 Boston MA song: Living On a Prayer - Bon Jovi


I'm half way there livin' on a prayer. I came into Fox almost blood shot this morning. I was tired and wired and ready to rock the casbah. There was a woman who put make-up on me against my will.

When I got to the studio the anchors quickly introduced themselves and 30 seconds later away we went. They asked me some question that I did not anticipate from the pre-invterview and I was a little caught off gaurd. They took an angle that I didn't expect. From the folks I have met on this journey who really have been supportive, they have been viewing my trip as a sign of hope. At first once the interview was over, I thought I did a terrible job. I felt like I was there to tell the world that the economy was hopeless. I really wanted to say the exact opposite, but then again, I haven't found a job. I didn't want to be one more person telling the world that there is no hope out there. But, who am I kidding?

The rest of the day I felt a little sick inside. If even in New York I couldn't find work, where am I going to? Maybe I need to wake up and realize that it is hopeless. That I am living a pipe dream. I checked my e-mail and blog, and I had NOBODY try to contact me with any leads. With the largest national news network in the world, I couldn't get any leads in finding a job. Maybe it is time.

I kept my silence about my feelings as I went to church in New York city. My perception of New York church goers was definately not skewered. The gentleman who gave the talk looked as if he sings for Color Me Badd, and his talk was on how the latest fashions relates to the gospel. Then our sunday school teacher preferred playing Hymns as sung by Gladis Knight to the class. However, she gave a lesson teaching how Satan tries in many ways to destroy us. His greatest tool agaisnt us is to take away our hope. Our hope is the most important thing we got. If he takes that away, we are rendered powerless.

I came out church feeling much better. It was just what I needed to keep on keepin on. I can't believe I came as close as I did to raising the white flag.
Anita took me to the subway where I caught my bus out of town. She was so terrific to me. She gave me an incredible experience. She did it so gleefully too. She also wants to know how the trip ends. I guess I can't dissapoint the others.

I hoped the bus to go to Boston having done NO homework for radio or tv in boston. On the way Tom from KNCI called. He told me that the interview looked great. And that it didn't come off pathetic at all but that I was funny. I hadn't really seen it at that point yet. But I told him, "Look, if you're going to have me on the morningshow tomorrow, I am not going to play Rockin' Randy. I am not going to play the pathetic college intern. I have earned better than that. I am on a mission to do something great and I won't back down and I won't take crap from anybody."
Tom's Response: "I hear ya. Don't worry, if anything we would be celebratory. You are in the business of getting attention and stirring things up and you did just that. You are getting out there and doing the right thing. And you ARE a sign of hope and inspiration to the nation. What you are doing is like a small brick in the wall to patch up this mess we're in. Keep at it, I am proud of you."

I was relieved. That made me feel a lot better to know that I have finally out grown the shadow of the goofy 19 year old Randy the entertainer.

When I got to Boston I was greeted by other friend Ben. Ben and I used to play in a band together in sacramento. He showed me around boston that night.
I stood where the Boston tea party and Boston massacre took place. I saw some of the countries most historical sites.
He then introduced me to his roomate Jared who works in radio and is going to get me a connection out here in Boston. Then he introduced me to a very bubbly, witty and pretty girl named Cassie who is going to get me a connection in radio in the chicago area. Once again I have come to a place where I feel so welcomed. I have had a great trip so far. I have made so many incredible friends, I wish they could all live in the same town with me, This is the most amazing thing I have ever done. I don't know If I ever want it to end.

scripture: DnC 4:

3 comments:

  1. I told him, "Look, if you're going to have me on the morningshow tomorrow, I am not going to play Rockin' Randy. I am not going to play the pathetic college intern. I have earned better than that. I am on a mission to do something great and I won't back down and I won't take crap from anybody."

    *YES.*
    I am so ridiculously proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I totally have to say Ditto to above. I even blogged about you! Happy reading.

    2. Living on a prayer is not such a bad thing. You'll get what you're looking for. Have faith and keep hope.

    3. Hebrews 11:1 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Annie...or third really...Anyway, the interview was wonderful, and you were funny. I loved your face at the end when the host said they wanted you back when your journey was over and you've found a job. You didn't know he was going to say that, huh. :D

    ReplyDelete