Friday, June 5, 2009

Day 44 West Virginia song: I Fought the Law - Bobby Fuller Four

Annie bought me a surprise the day earlier. She bought me some meds and a bandage for my foot and some insoles. It looks like my chuck taylors will last a little bit longer. And my foot feels much better, I no longer have to limp like a gansta. And after the blessing I recieved last night, I feel much better. It also helps to sleep in and take plenty of nyquil.



Most of the morning was spent mapping out the rest of my journey, doing laundry and e-mailing contacts. That is becoming a real chore which is good. That means I am getting somewhere.



On my way out I had a couple of friends to visit. First was the pretty red head I met in North Caralina, Amy (to describe Amy better, she looks suspiciously like Gina Davis....yeeeah) . We had a short encounter at her new job as a nanny. We spoke of the future, and the importance of getting to know ourselves. It was reasonably deep discussion as the little girl she watches kept giving her love notes to give to me. We ultimately came to the conclusion now is not a good time for anything more. We will keep in touch, but probably we'll just leave it at that. I won't think twice, its alright. But I hope she finds her direction home.



From one red head to the next. Right on my way out to Ohio, I had to see one more girl I knew from school whom I thought I would never see again, who was Michelle. Michelle and I have a real funny history. Her and I are the closest I have ever come to kindred spirits. But, time is past situations are rarely convienient but we are now good friends. Her and I went straight into our normal routine of absolute sponteneity. We had some food at a jamaican quizine resturaunt and we didn't have what it took to eat what was in front of us. It was beyond our capacity. But it gave us good time to sit and talk about the age old philosophical debate about Free-will vs. Theological Determanism. In the process trying to analyze the role in theological determanism of what it is exactly I am truly hunting for in this epic journey, and why it is extraordinarily difficult. Michelle seems to believe that there is a reason for everythings causation that is directly linked to the higher power. If thats true, than maybe everyone I have spoken to have believed that as well. As I thought about it, I wonder , "how does every broadcaster know that no matter how bleak the job market is for us, they KNOW that "I" will be ok?"

Why of all people would I be the skeptic? Is it because I don't like being let down? Is it because believe fate is a belief for the simple minds? I believe in an ultimate plan, but I do believe you write your story. This is the next question that will haunt me.

Meeting with Michelle is a blast as always, she is one of the shortest lived but best friendships I have ever had. She will do fine, I can't explain, I just know it.


Now I have a late start, but I had to make it to ohio to make my 9 am appointment. This means I have to do some night driving which I almost have never done on this trip, only a couple of times. But rolling through the appalation mountains, you go through alot of steep up and downgrades. I passed up a slow moving truck on the way up and I rolled down the hill a little fast. Now, those who ride in a car while I drive know that speeding is not a problem of mine. However, at the bottom of this little hill out of the darkness a highway patrol comes charging after me. I thought the man must be evil, I was only going 74 in a 65 zone going down a really steep hill.

Officer" I recorded you at 87"

Randy "87!?!?!"

Officer "I know yer speedometer red somethin' else....."

as he pulled my licence and registration, he didn't even ask me if I knew how fast or why I was going. I know a lot of highway patrol don't really care, but they at least have to pretend to care thats the deal.

He got back to me MUMBLING "this is cittation s... sblalha hdbnalhd a d dk 290 dollars by the state dod akd akd blaha bablah you have baballahaha. Pull out safely."

as he threw the ticket on my lap. He said that routine like he says it a 100 TIMES A DAY! Which I imagine he does. He didn't even ask me anything at all. Or even give me a chance to get a word in. As he went back to his car I wanted to see if I could see his hooves and if the ground would open up he would join the rest of satans minion. This ticket will cost a third of what I have left to finish this journey.

Usually, I fes up to my sins as a driver, but this time, I was lied to and cheated. I would have been better off getting mugged in New York. At least they would have only gotten 40 bucks from me. As I watched him pull back into the next speeding trap nook, I shouted out loud my second Leutenant Dan moment (he couldn't hear of course) "Is this the best you GoT!!! I AIN'T GIVING UP!!! YOU'LL SEE, I WILL NOT QUIT!!!"



Afterwards, I kept driving wondering how am I going to survive now. So I began to count my blessings.
1st off, I unlike that cop, don't have to spend the rest of my life looking like a cross between Dick Cheney and Jabba the Hut.
2nd, The people I have met along the way who have wanted so much to help me: Becca, Bud, Ashley, Anita, Pilar, Samantha, Paul, Margaret, Jill, Eric, Ken,The gentlemen from the ohio school for broadcasters, they have genuinly wanted to see me suceed. I am not sure why it seems important to them, but they really wanted to know. Almost as if for some reason of their own.
Then I thought about Matt and Annie, Matt and Robyn, the Farmers, McKenzie, Ben (texas), Ben (Boston) Grant and Todd from grand Junction, the people who didn't know anybody but were kind enough to do whatever else it was they could do. I can't say that I haven't been really lucky. Or as Michelle would tell me, they were put there for a reason.

scripture: Proverbs 10:6

No comments:

Post a Comment