Friday, June 19, 2009

Day 59 NM to AZ song: 1000 Miles from Nowhere - Dwight Yoakum

I woke up this morning to the rising sun of New Mexico. It felt like I was entering the Heavens gate. I felt huge, like it was all for me. Perhaps, because I was the only one around while the sun illuminated these huge rock formations steep and smooth. I figured out that New Mexico really brings the Hippy out in me. For some people, its surfing, or just the islands, for some its the woods or the golf course or the mountains. For me, I know that it is New Mexico.

I hit the ground running looking for work in Radio in Gallup, I wanted this one BAD today. I tried to sell myself to the secretaries as usual. And they were friendly. One said that they weren't there, but she offered me some orange juice and some promotional life water. That was nice. The other station I went to had nobody in there but the jock. I waited for someone to come out and a cat jumped on me as another one walked by, IN THE RADIO STATION. The jock yelled out to me, "Nobody is here, they are all out to lunch!" I decided, that it wasn't worth coming back. I don't mind cats at all, but I ain't gonna work in a place with cats roaming about. Although it would be funny.
The last station of the day, the program director spoke with me. He and his staff are bitter about the radio industry. I can't blame him, but he thinks its really the fault of the programers. I half way agree with him. But he took an honest interest in my resume and politely said, "If anything opens up man, I sure to give you a strong consideration."

The rest of the day, I went searching for individuals I know. I couldn't find anyone. Phone numbers had changed and people had moved. The only people I could find were the investigators who weren't too interested. I would have visited, but what would I say, I certainly can't play the missionary card again.

My older brother called last night and was making sure i was NOT going to come to Gallup. Most of my friends really never understood what had transpired in my life at that time. I guess the truth was hard to understand. Most everyone outside my religion felt it was the worst thing that happend to me. That I sacrificed a girl I loved, a job that was great and a spot in the Hottest band in Sacramento, The Jackie Greene band. Some people still remind me that if it wasn't for the mission..... Now as I see Gallup and enjoy it so much, I now remember how the real traumatic memories were coming back to Sacramento. Losing the mission was the hardest part. Its easy for me to remember why now. I just loved the Navajos.....unconditionally. I was meant to be there. I would have done anything for them...... I still would. I would dare anybody to ask me if I would do it all over again.

I loved my day in Gallup, even though there were no jobs, I loved seeing how the town had really cleaned up its image. Its much nicer and BIGGER. Much more of a tourist trap than before. The economy seems to be doing fine there. Oddly enough because when the economy was great, it seemed to be doing awful.....Wierd.

I dragged my feat as I went to Arizona. I skipped Flagstaff, I'll tag it on my way back up to Las Vegas. But I did see the Petrified forest and the painted Desert National Park. It was terrific. SO terrific that I sped through just five miles of it and turned around. I don't want to experience everything by myself. I want to save somethings for when I have someone with me. Besides, sometimes the greater the experience is, the more it sucks when you are by yourself.

I took 87 the B highway to Gilbert AZ. It was darkening with overcast. I had no idea how many mountains there is in AZ. But its impressive. I saw a really dramatic sight for a long drive going to AZ. I love the southwest. Its the best. People ask me if I am getting tired of driving. NEVER! If I could do it for a living (if its not a big truck) I would consider it. I love the open road. I can just think and have the greatest chains of thought run through my head about anything. Its been the greatest thing ever. And I decided if I ever became a writer, I would move to New Mexico or Arizona. The sky would be the greatest inspiration for me.

scripture:Ether 4:1

No comments:

Post a Comment