Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Day 56 Albuquerque NM song: Alien - Bush


The best sleep I have had all journey was in the roswell campground. It was heavenly. So cheap and so accomodating. I spent my morning as usual in the starbucks using the internet and mapping out my day. I have become one of those dorks who wears tight black and a beret and orders a very particular coffee as they spend hours typing away on their lap top. All of that except the coffee, tight black and beret.

The first station I went to went like this. "Sorry, WE DON'T TAKE CALIFORNIANS ANYMORE!! Haha, sorry, just messin' with ya. You came all the way out here for a job? Well, we do have a position opening, I don't know if its part time or full time, but I will listen to what you got and we will see from there. You do know there is NOTHING to do in Roswell."
"There is for me." I replied.

The next station was a T.V. station. Marcus the engineer spoke with me. He was generous with his time and told me stories of friends he knew who started in tiny towns and in no time, went to the big top. He also gave me some contacts to explore around New Mexico. I only had time for a couple, but he really wanted to help me out as much as he could. He informed me that the tv station doesn't do local news anymore. They only had one opening for a reporter a month ago and its been filled. All the stations in New Mexico just pipe in Albuquerque's news. Consolodation has gotten to the tv world. There is no voice for the little town.

I stopped at one more station in Roswell. The station that had all the popular stations. I was greeted by a dude named Joe who looked like the angry rock n' roll comedian from the 80's Sam Kineson. He was hilarious and bitter about what corporate America had done and is doing to radio. He spoke quick and was lightening witted. He is a rock jock who seems very talented. He is a bit of a pessimist of the radio industry though. He said that us jocks are a dying breed. And in ten years, there will only be ten of them left. Of course he was exaggerating, but I know what he meant, and I don't blame him for being angry.

Joe introduced me to his boss the morning show host, program director, general manager, sales manager and probably more. He name is Caiti, she was awfully nice to give me her time. She has only worked at that station and it is independantly owned. we spoke of radio and how much that independant stations are the only ones left who have the soul of radio. She was way cool. She like many of the others told me that if she had a job opening..... Which I don't mind hearing, because at least people are taking me seriously.

Before I left Roswell, I checked out the alien museum. Its ok. The whole alien tourist trap is a little dissapointing. Roswell is a town that could really do a lot to become a bigger and better town. I honestly believe I wouldn't mind living there, because I know that I can make that place a more happening town. It just needs a touch of rock n' roll in their diet and they are good to go. I think I would have fun trying to bring together the community in their area.

Roswell has possibly the coolest music store I have ever been too. And they have openings for guitar instructors. If I needed a second part time job if I got one there, I know that I could get one and do well.

I left Roswell for another hour in the desert to Riodoso NM. A smaller town out in the mountains in NM. Very isolated. Nobody was there to speak with, but I left my material anyway and was off to Albuquerque.

I have been to Albuquerque before. Its where my mission home was when I served. I never really served much in Albuquerque. Just a couple of days if I remember correctly. I remembered the town being much bigger than it is. Thats ok. I love the landscape of Albuquerque. I dig the southwest. My friend Michelle from Albuquerque pointed me out to some of the cool things to do out there, but there really isn't any touristy things outside of the baloon festival. There was a college town scene and of course a music scene. But I didn't take any interest oddly enough. I just fell in love with the night air. I went out to a bluff overlooking the brightlights and big city of Albuquerque. It was very much a place that a teenager would have taken his girlfriend..... I of course was alone.... Thats ok, I wanted to soak it in. Once again, there really isn't much to do in New Mexico. But I can't help but love it. For no reason at all. It feels like home. The night sky is the best I have ever seen. Its almost intoxicating. I feel like I am in a Pink Floyd song out there, so connected with the stars. Like I said before, this is definately a good place for an alien to come and visit.

scripture: Enos 1:4

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh... Albuquerque. :-)

    You know, I'm really glad you stuck it out with my crazy (and yet totally awesome) directions and found that mesa. And I'm even more glad the first place didn't work out. Maybe just a weird coincidence?

    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete