Monday, June 29, 2009

Day 68 Yorba Linda CA song: The World Ain't Slowin' Down - Ellis Paul


I went to church in Huntington Beach. The members were filled with people who look like they are in magazines. There is no question, I am in Southern California. Everyone was attractive and pretty nice. The lessons were taught well and the talks were spoken well. But I wasn't ready. One thing about church is, you only get what you put into it. If you don't come prepared to learn, you get nothing. I may have walked in their humble, but not humble and hungry. I came in their trying to catch up, but felt nothing. I wasn't prepared. I didn't spiritually prepare myself. This is a mistake I cannot afford to make next week.

While at church, I introduced myself to the elders quarum and told everyone what I am doing. And for the third time on this trip, someone pulled me aside and offered to give me a job that would teach me how to talk to people and how to make money to buy expensive bull crap that NOBODY needs. I got a job offer to sell security. Not that I have an issue with those who do that, but if I wanted to do sales, I could do that anywhere. Door to door sales man jobs do NOT require this kind of perseverence to get.

Afterwards I had met with my extended family. All my cousins, Aunts, Uncles and second cousins and such. I have had a very American Experience for the last ten weeks, but today was a latin American Experience. You should know that I am Half Ecuadorian. All of my relatives on my Mom's side of the family are full blooded Ecuadorians. We had a reunion dinner in the back patio of my Uncle Pepe house. Like usual, they all give me a playfully hard time because my spanish sucks. They will never get over that but that is ok, I did let them down. They all have known about my trip and my appearances of TV and my little show at the college I had. They were so proud and excited to have me over. I really miss that part of the family. I really haven't seen most of them in ten years. Its about time I did.

Perhaps my favorite cousin Gustavo, the schmoozer, spoke with me about possible jobs at his place of work, which is Disneyland. He and the rest of the family thought I would be perfect for the jungle boat ride tour guide. I have been told that several times in my life so maybe its time I see what its all about. Of course, Disneyland doesn't seem like my type of place, BUT, I need work, and it does sound like it could be some fun. We will see what becomes of that.

I got to meet my little niese Franchesca who just loved to hang out and I got to see my baby cousin Paola who is a grown woman now. Its a little jarring, but it was so great to see the family and remember where I come from. As hard as I try to be a Red blooded, ford driving, American Road Warrior, I still am a latin American as well.

In the evening I was planning my day for Monday. All of the love I have recieved on this trip has left me with what I need to dig down ONE more time on this journey. I know I haven't been too successful. I know that I may be going about this the wrong way or am just in a bad time. I know that there is NO more competittive job market than Los Angeles.....However, I am going out swinging. Tomorrow, I am going to hit up all of Burbank and show everybody including myself what it is I am really made of.

scripture:Isaiah 5: 19

No comments:

Post a Comment