Monday, June 15, 2009

Day 55 Amarillo To Roswell NM song: Amarillo By Morning - George Strait


Last night, my tent completely collapsed on me. I vaguely remember it, but when it happend I said to myself, "ahhhhh screw it." Then there was a thunderstorm I guess because my tent was completely wet and not water proof. When I got up I spent at least 2 minutes trying to find my way out of my collapsed and we tent. Worming my way around until I found my zipper. When I arose from my fallen home I was being watched by two different camp sites. They didn't know whether to feel bad for me or laugh histerically. Eventually they all chose laughter. One of the camp groups was very hippy and I suspect in the middle of cleaning out their bongs when they watched me get up. the other was a family who looked like Ward and June Cleaver with their perfect children. The Hippy group said, "whoa, it was like watching an adult being born! Only, coming out of a little wet cacoon." While laughing they all expressed concern and one even got me a towel. Oddly enough, I was fine, I wasn't cold or sick. Just a little wet. To them this was wierd. To me it was Monday. The funny thing for me is, the only other time my tent collapsed was in Amarillo, which is where I am again. Amarillo is the Nexus of the trip. Because its the only place where my path actually crosses. Amarillo, is a perfect place for a nexus.

After I dried my self, the tent, my things and got showered and washed clothes, I was takin' care of business. I got my oil changed again and my tires rotated. That to me is really all Amarillo is good for. I can't stand it out there. I imagine, if ever I choose that I want to die a slow death, I will move to Amarillo, take up drinking Jim Beam and listen to Tobey Keith, NON STOP. Its a stinky, hot place with nothing but a famous red neck restuarant. This is really the only city in the nation I have seen that I want nothing to do with. HOWEVER. I still did my business and delivered resumes. I delt with careless receptionist after receptionist. Only one who actually cared enough to help me out, I think that was because she is a recent college grad too. But I didn't mind too much getting shafted. I'll tell you why. Because, looking for a job in Amarillo, is like going on a date with a girl you have NO interest in at all. But, because you're a nice guy, you give it your best shot because you never know. But no matter what happens, at the end of the date, you're praying that she NEVER calls you.

I went out west to New Mexico. I first went to Fort Sumner because I was told it was a good size small town. It wasn't. It was too tiny for a radio station. Nothing there for me. But, I did check out the Billy the Kid museum. For those of you who don't know, that is where Billy was Shot dead by Pat Garrett. I also visited his grave. The museum was mostly stuff that existed while he was alive and articles written about him. And a lot of stuff that existed several decades later. The only thing they had of Billy's was his rifle. Still, I dug it. One thing I found interesting, was according to the stories I read there, the movies they made "young guns" were actually fairly accurately done. They were dramatized sure, but they had mostly historical facts in there. Which cracks me up because growing up I was always told that those movies had little to no truth in them. I don't know people get ideas and pass them as facts because it makes sense in their minds. Anywho, score one for Hollywood.

I decided to travel south. I wanted to See Roswell NM. All I know of Roswell, is that its a market that would be a reasonable start for me in broadcasting, and there was alien landings there and government coverups.
The town thrives off the Alien hunting tourism. Its pretty cool, they have alien museums and gift shops and coffee shops. Even the Fast food joints are all about aliens. Its awesome. It mostly appeals to little kids and pot-heads. Or people who think somewhere between a little kid and a pot head......This is where I come in. I love the alien thing they have, its really fun.
As it turns out, there is absolutely NOTHING to do in Roswell at night, NOTHING AT ALL. No sports or music or anything you can imagine, not even a movie theatre. And as it turns out, the myth of the alien landing was only because it was a goverment air baloon that went haywire at night but looked like a UFO. That is the most excepted theory, but some choose to believe that it could have been aliens. I really don't have an opinion.

However, for some reason, I love this place. New Mexico is the most peaceful place in America, in my opinion. I can't think of any logical reason, but I hope to land a job out here someday. I know I can be happy here. Maybe even raise a family here. Its not real rich, but its not a ghetto either. It just kinda feels like.....home.

I have been star gazing, (alien watching) for a while on the hood of my car like in Wayne's World.(don't you dare laugh at me right now, I am having a moment) And I think I have one good arguement for the Alien believers. It is that, If I were a space exploring Alien, trying to get away or find a peaceful place. I think New Mexico is where I would land too, if I were from another planet.

scripture:2nd Nephi 4:15

3 comments:

  1. This post is great!

    I absolutely loved NM when my mom and I were driving out to MO. One of mom's good friends lives there, and she encouraged me to stay with accounting. I'm really grateful she did. The temple in Albuquerque was so cool to go through, and Maria told us that tuition is free for kids who graduate from high school there because it is so subsidized by lottery. I thought that was REALLY cool. Doesn't the sky just seem bigger in the southwest too? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. DAHhahahahahahaha! If you're gonna spew, spew in this! I didn't laugh until you said 'don't you dare', I couldn't help it.
    Also, I find it hilarious that Amarillo made your tent fall on your head twice. It's like Amarillo saw you coming and was trying to...hehe...rain on your parade.
    :)
    I may have to tease you relentlessly if you ever wind up working in Amarillo.
    Good nexus post. A personified, puck-like Amarillo and aliens.
    Perfect.
    :) Keep swinging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about New Mexico. I could see why Aliens would want to live here. 2 summers ago, we went down to Roswell for the alien festival. They had an alien light parade at night, and was pretty much the lamest thing we ever did see. It was basically just people driving down the street. So, I agree with you, nothing to do there at night, even during a festival. But I really like Roswell.

    ReplyDelete