Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Day 63 Arizona song: Radio Ga Ga - Queen


Fox local news in Phoenix interviewed me on the corner of Mill and 7th street in Tempe Arizona. The interview was a lot of fun. I was impressed, I felt they were really cool and really wanted to help me out. I was originally skeptical, but I don't know why, they were genuinly out to help me get some pub and I deeply appreciated it. The interview went well and I felt good about it. The reporter and camera man were friendly and I had fun.

Then I went back to Nate's home and packed up and was on my way. Nate was awesome. I really think that if I went to the Phoenix area, I would hang out with him. He gave me an open invitation to come stay with him if I ever come back. I deeply appreciated him taking a stranger into his home and making me feel welcome. I will never forget.

I did my resume dropping routine for a couple more radio statons and CBS out in phoenix. Not much luck as far as speaking to anybody, but we will see.

Next stop is Precott AZ. I really liked Prescott. Its a really isolated and friendly southwestern community. A place to raise a family. I spoke to the radio station out there. All that was there is the one building with several stations in it. I spoke with the Sales manager who seemed to be intrigued by my story. I gave him my selling spiel and he was sorry he couldn't do anything. But he gave me a referral in Flagstaff to someone who might be able to help.

To Flagstaff AZ it was. Flagstaff is another isolated town, but with more trees. And, its a college town. Not a real hip college town like Tempe, Berekely or Boston. But it was cool. Another great place to live. Its got everything you need out there and its not too far from LA, or Vegas or Phoenix. All the radio stations in town were closed before four though. It was pretty sad. No one would answer the door. I figured it must have been happy hour or two dollar tuesday. Finally the last station I went to I caught the last man walking out the door who was the general manager of this station. He was friendly as could be and he let me give him my entire spiel.

"Well sir, I know there isn't much work for jocks out there, because there is not enough money going around. But, here is how I can make you money. The one part of the market that is still growing is the WEB. Its the only part that is growing. But, you need more traffic to get more money from advertising. So, here is where I can come in. I am trained in how to do tv news reporting. I am a one man band, I can write, shoot, edit, interview and find my own stories and be either serious or funny on camera. I can get the community a better voice and have something that the jocks can push for listeners to come on the web. I can be your daily reporter just giving you a reason to come to the web site other than just contests and prizes. You would come and check out the daily video player and the people would raise the traffic on your sites. I can be the guy who finds the sponsorship for that. I can do a lot of things for your station as well. I am trained in board operating, promotions and on-air. I can be what ever you need me to be, and I will make the station more money."

The GM was impressed. "Well, you seem like you're gonna do well. Keep at it, it will pay off. You have been on the road for a long time. Radio as you must know, is not like it used to be. There is no begginner club anymore. The small stations are all automated and the large stations only employ the seasoned vets. Its a different time we live in. Why do you want to do radio so bad anyway?"

"Well sir, because everyday is different. One day, I am shaking hands with one of the local sports atheletes. The next day, I am helping raise toys for the TOYS FOR TOTS. The next day, We are having a fun on air-contest and we laugh all morning long. The next day, I am riding in the back of a stunt air-plane. And the next day, I am haning out back stage with a country star. The next day, we are helping out a small barber business get some traffic. I loved it. I can make a difference in the community and I could have the greatest exeriences non-stop. I get to meet the greatest people day in and day out. Thats why I want to do radio so bad sir."

He smiled and gave me his card. He really wants to see me have a happy ending. He wished me luck and we parted ways as he took my resume on file.

I headed off to Las Vegas where I stayed with Scott my old mission companion and his wife. It was great, they fed me the best mexican haystacks of my life and we spoke of the old folks on the mission field. I was grateful to see a great friend again. Today was a good day.

scripture: DnC 9:8

1 comment: