Sunday, June 14, 2009

Day 54 Oklahoma song: Learning the Hard Way - Gin Blossoms


Church this morning was in an Elementary School. The real church was under serious renovation, so I had church in elementary school cafeteria. I met some nice guys out there. One dude named Spencer in particular immediately wanted to help me in my quest. And after five minutes of knowing me offered me his number offering any help he could give. I am always humbled by the kindness of strangers.

Off to Amarillo by way of Route 66. This was the reason I took this trip. And now, I finally get to do it. I broke the Sabbath to check out the Route 66 museum for 3 dollars. Loved it, I really love the whole story of route 66. Ever since I read the Grapes of Wrath and books on 66 for so long. I don't think my road trip actually satisfies any of that to me. I won't have much of it at all on my journey. I am just too zig zagged. I will have to do another journey through sixty six someday. Hopefully, that time with my wife.

I saw the Biggerst Crucifix on the western hemisphere in Texas. Its in the middle of nowhere of 66. I had never heard of it until that afternoon. One thing about the south is, its REALLY Christian. But in some cases to a fault. Some of the Religious paraphanellia to me seems almost more disrespectful then reverent. Some billboards and such I have seen almost seem to mis-represent the savior. When I saw this cross off the highway that looked like it was built from tin roof material. I expected this to be a monument of blasphemous things. But it wasn't. This cross out in the middle of NOWHERE texas, was actually very tastefully done. A lot of money was spent to show reverence to what it represents. It had lots of statues telling the story of Christ's last day. My hat was off.

Because of the Slowness of 66, I got to thinkin'. How much I have enjoyed this journey. How I don't want it to end. EVER!!! I have loved it too much. Maybe I can find a career where I just travel. But I can't, I don't want to choose to stay single forever. I walk into this canundrum of how much I like to travel on my own. But when I get to a place that is REAL COOL, is when I get lonely. Not that I mind, I love this journey. In fact, it really gave me a travel bug. I used to hate, driving long distances. Honestly, and I was terrified of taking this trip, but I knew I had to do it. Now, I can't get enough of it. Even the boring states are beautiful to me. I have fallen for America. One City at time.

scripture: 1st Nephi 10:13

2 comments:

  1. This was a really beautiful post. I loved you last two sentences. Thank you for sharing your journey with those of us who have to stay tied down to one spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This gave me chills. I have to admit I am quite jealous of your opportunity.

    ReplyDelete