Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Day 21 Clarksdale M.S. song: Crossroads - Robert Johnson


I came out of the camp feeling terrible. Now I am worried about this cold. Its gettin' bad. I am going to need more than some nyquil.

This morning I had a sit down chat with Argo the morningshow host of the Elvis Radio station on XM radio. He said to me, "your air check is great. You have an adequate resume.....Your ready. I'll tell ya, five years ago, what you got would have given you a job. But now.... I don't know how anyone could break into radio. I started 25 years ago doing over night shifts. Now that position doesn't exist anymore anywhere. Season vets are losing their jobs becuase of the economy, internet radio, i pods etc... I don't know if and when it will go back to normal. radio will always be around and they will always need jocks, but the supply and demand will change. Radio is being forced to evolve. As you know it helps to be versatile, which you are, but thats hard knowing you have done it all and there still isn't anything out there. You may have a better shot doing you're own podcast. But you're doing the right thing, you're exploring the country and doing your homework. You come prepared and knowing what to say. I think you are smart and will find something. If I could do what you're doing, I would. But i got a wife and kid. Parties over. One thing you need to ask yourself when you continue your searh is...Why am I doing this? Is it because I want to be a celebrity? or is it because I have something to say?"

I left feeling good that I may be a day late, but it doesn't seem that I am a dollar short. Argo was the first guy to listen to my air check while I was present. He liked it alot. At least I am coming to battle armed.

I moved on the Clarksdale Mississipi on Highway 61, the blues highway. I found where 61 meets 54. This is the crossroads where Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil in exchange for the ability to play guitar. I found out later that this never happend, it was only a rumour he started so people would pack in the clubs he was playing, which it worked like a charm. But I was in for the first time the deep south. I was in the delta. I was possibly the only white guy in this town. I loved it. I was finally in a place that hadn't been turned into a giant white tourist trap that still had history. This is where blues was born. All that stood left of the old town was the remains of a defeated culture that seemed to still be searching for something. You would think I was still in the fifties in this town. Blues was alive and well in the Juke Joints. For those of you who don't know what a juke joint is, its the Black equivelent to a Honky Tonk. Accept, these Juke Joints, were not tourist friendly, they were locals friendly.

They had a little Delta Blues museum. It was the greatest museum I had ever seen. I was moved by it. One thing about the blues you must know is, its the sound of hope. Its the sound that marked the will of the Black communities of the delta, the forgotten people. It was never about whining, it was about saying, I'll be back tomorrow. I will still be standing. Perhaps its why its still alive and kicking. Blues never goes away. Pop comes and goes, but the blues stand for something so much more sacred, a legend, and a legend never dies.

I ate at a soul food place with some real southern sass. The owner Marvin spoke to me, "Don't choo kill 'dem flies... if you do... a thousand of his friends will come for the funeral. You from Sacrameno huh? You long way from home. We take good cair of you heer. you musician? Well you look like one, or an actor. You look like you from hollywood. Eat chyour eggsandwich befoh it goes baad. And good luck on yoh quest, I'm sure you'll find somthin'.

I spoke to the folks at WROX, the first station to ever play just blues. The Programmer Lawrence spoke to me, "Well Keed, I ain't got nothin' foh ya. But choo goud, you goud. Ryte now we do alota voicetrackin' and automashin. We are skeleton staffed, but if I cuud, I would hier you. Don't give up, don't give up, that what seperates the good from the bad. Its foh da love of da music. Radio will alllways be aroun', so don't give up too easy, its been tough on all of us."

I thanked him for his time and moved on. I really liked the town, its unfortunate that its been so dead. I found a clothing store i loved. Its where all the Black folk come to look good on a night on the town. Its the best clothing store, I have ever seen. Its fancy blues clothes. Its called "Super Soul Shop." I guess Elvis Costello and Brian Setzer sometimes shop there. It was owned by two friendly syrian folks who have been selling clothes there for 30 years. They were funny.

Later on that day I decided to find the closest bishop which was close to memphis again to ask for a blessing to get rid of my cold. I think its really helped out. Better luck tomorrow, Tupelo Mississippi.

scripture: TBD

2 comments:

  1. I love it Randy, I really love it. Your life is amazing, don't ever forget it... and it will only continue to get better. You know why? Because Karma is real. I really believe that. There is probably a more spiritually profound way to describe it, but you give a lot to the world Randy... and I know it will give back. I hope you know who reads these :) I am sure she does...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better, wandee! I like how you quote phonetically some of the folks there. It brings the story alive!!

    ReplyDelete