Friday, May 22, 2009

Day 30 Washinton D.C. song: Born in the U.S.A. - Bruce Springsteen

Today Annie Played my tour guide across the capital mall. I seem to have been very lucky on this trip to be guided with the perfect person to be with in a lot of these places like in Texas, or Arkansas and now Maryland. Anywho, Annie certainly knows a lot about the National history of the country and got to witness me as my heart opened up to our country.

We saw all the monuments, the memorials for world war 1, 2, vietnam, korean war. I saw the capital, the white house and almost everything else you can think of. We went through some musuems, but, today was Junior High student day. There were a million little monsters let loose unchained and unwatched running about throughout everthing. It made it really difficult to enjoy some of the sacred places. But even the kids couldn't completely ruin some of the massive statues and quotes that rose high above.

I have always been somewhat cynical about our nations history, never was I the most pro-America kind of guy. But I was very moved by the Jefferson, Washingtonand Lincoln monument. As I reflected on our country that I have been able to experience, I can see much more clearly how different we all are in several locations around the nation. And everywhere I go, the people are generally pretty good people. Different customs, different attitudes, different political preferences, we are definately a lot more dynamic than I ever would have imagined. There seemed to be something inherently good about every place I have been to. Ultimately I came to the conclusion, that I am in fact proud of where I come from, and the people that make up such a diverse nation. This country is a patchwork of diversity and many different ideas and thoughts, not just the two we see on tv. I am happy with what we got, and there is something worth fighting for. Never would I try and get political on this blog, I am certainly not speaking of the situation we are in now, but, maybe I could have joined the military for the right reason, maybe I could have really done it for something much greater than anything I can take any ownership from. Its just too bad I would be disqualified from the military for having asthma, I didn't know that would hurt this much, but all I can do now is show my patriotism in other ways. I never really thought that this trip would make me a real Johnny America.

Ether 13:8

No comments:

Post a Comment