Sunday, May 10, 2009

Day 18 Memphis T.N. song: Thunderstorms and Neon Signs - Wayne Hancock


Today Matt took me to see an the old mill that was used in "Gone with the Wind". Its amazing, it almost looks as if Disney created it, only its real, its there right next to a lagoon with bridges made of concrete trees. If your ever in Little Rock, you gotta visit that.

I left Little Rock reluctantly. I had a pretty stable place to sleep, not that others hadn't offered that, but Matt and Robyn where the only people I knew the home owners ahead of time, and who knows when i will see them again.

But, little Rock is really bad for my allergies. I used to be a little impatient with peoples allergies in Sacramento. Now I understand what it is like. All the green and blossoming that goes on in the Natural State is enough to kill someone. Part of me was relieved to leave.

Cruzin' into Memphis was like comin' home..... Sort of. I immediately hit up Beale street where all the magic happens and it was PACKED. I have never seen Memphis so alive as I did this saturday. With great bands filling up every club and a ton of bands right outside the clubs. The street was bumpin. There was the most roughed up soulful blues sextet outside the Rum-Boogie cafe that I just dug. I really don't know how to describe their southern backwater authenticity, but they had some serious JuJu on their side. I danced the blues with an older woman named Yolanda, who while we were dancing loved to shout out arbitrarily things like, " Say YEAAAHHH" (which I responded with "yeeeeh) and she also would say, "Dance it White boy" and "You betta be cairful or I'ma gonna take you home wit me, heh HAAAAGGHHH". I rather enjoyed myself.

I capped off the night by watching a band called "Appetite for Destruction" an authentic Guns n' Roses tribute act. They sounded perfect. They nailed every note and every look and motion that is Guns n' Roses...... Accept they didn't feel as dangerous as Gn'R. Almost like they don't come from the same sewer, and maybe they have day jobs. Never the less, they rocked.

As good as a time it was out there, I noticed something funny. I didn't like it as much as I did when I was 19 years old. What seemed like my personal disney land was now much more in resemblance of the great and spacious building that has no foundation. It wasn't as much like coming home as I once hoped it would be.

Oddly enough I stayed with a well known Radio celebrity around these parts. The voice of the memphis grizzlies. He is a really nice guy and pretty hospitibul.

Scripture: 1st Nephi 8:30

No comments:

Post a Comment