Thursday, May 28, 2009

Day 37 Manhatten NYC song: Back to Olympia - Rancid


This morning I slept in, I was anticipating a lot of walking today. And that is what I did. I spent most of the day walking in central park. The park is really really nice. I spent some time hanging out with a panhandler playing rockabilly music. Its funny, the one place where panhandling seems to be VERY profitable, I didn't bring my guitar.

I spent several hours as well just walking about the streets on the not so scenic and tourist parts of town. I walked and thought. I saw a lot of folks walking and talking to themselves. I decided not to knock it 'til I tried it. So I had a few moments where I began to think out loud and articulate my thoughts. I'll tell ya, it can be addicting. My thoughts became more lucid as I said them out loud, but I didn't have the energy to keep it up for long.

I absorbed the culture of New York and I wonder how it would be if I had a job there. I know I could survive it, and I know I might even get to really like it, but I don't know that I would want to. Possibly when I was six years younger I would have been more up to it, but these days I don't know that I have the stamina to be in New York. The folks here are very focused on making their career happen. I don't know how or if they do keep up the balance between a home life and a work life. I didn't grow up wanting just life in the city, and I think that may be what seperates me from New York. I don't know that I could live here without compromise who I am, not in a bad way but a compromise of some sort.

So it looks as if Fox news will be having me as their guest this weekend. They want to put me on the morningshow. The young woman who is going to be apart of the production of this event name is Pilar. She was giving me a pre-interview for the show. She is a pretty latina who grew up in New York. She was absolutely amazed by the story. She seemed as if she couldn't get enough of my story. For her, this was living out a dream of hers. I have heard that a lot on this trip, that is really funny for me, because, the people who say that are usually living the life that I dream about. I guess you never can really win.
We spoke a deep conversation on religion, politics and the kind of things we want out of life. I never would have suspected that a true blue New Yorker would want have a penchant for the suburban status quo living of the American Dream. But her and I identified with eachother much more than I ever would have suspected, she broke my perception of a New Yorker really quick. She really was interested in becoming my friend and hanging out with me. Which I indeed welcomed. I always want to make friends in every town I go into.

After Anita got off work, she took me to time square to see a broadway play. We saw the cheapest one we could and got the most affordable seats...... So we saw Mary Poppins.......
Now, I am not a dork.... I love baseball..... rock n' roll.... cowboy flics.... shootin pool, power tools and cars...... but, I LOVED WATCHING MARY POPPINS. It was my first broadway play and I was not dissapointed. You don't even have to like theatre in any sense to appreciate what it has to offer you. Just the effects were MIND blowing. I couldn't get enough, it was intense. And this was the most affordable play. You never get bored, even if you think the story isn't any good, you can't help but love the experience. It was more magic than Ziegfried and Roy, and you didn't have to deal with the wierd costumes. Don't any of you think that I am a theatre person, but I did enjoy the broadway play.

Thats all I got, I'll say hi to y'all when I'm on T.V.

scripture: Luke 6:23

No comments:

Post a Comment