Thursday, April 30, 2009

Day 8 Amarillo T.X. song: Hard Core Troubadour - Steve Earl


Leaving Denver wasn't too hard for me. I had a good time, a really good time, but I didn't get the sense that Denver is where my new home will be.

This was the first time I changed my actual route this trip, and I don't think it will be the last. I went south instead of going through Kansas to go to Kansas city. I headed for Amarillo.

This seven hour drive was pretty boring. Driving into Texas requires more commitment than I have given to most of my ex's. Even still, with the right tunes and the arms out the window with the wind through my hair, there is something so liberating when you don't have a time a constraint. When you could do anything and go anywhere, you really feel freedom manifest in all your senses. Or at least I do.

Amarillo, is like a big city ghost town. There is nothing going on there. It seemed nice, but I didn't get the good ole' wholesome family little town feel I was shootin' for.
I had afree limo service pick me up from the KOA. The limo was old with Horns and it took me to the famous "Big Texan" restaurant. This is the place where they will give you a free 72 ounce steak if you can eat it in an hour. Supposedly its possible, but if you are one of the people who can do it, you have bigger problems to worry about than your dinner bill.

Later I was still hungry so I went into town to for a good burger and I went into a place with live music. The place said it was a restaurant, but it had the symptoms of a bar. I guess the fact that they didn't card me to get a burger and a coke qualified it as a restaurant. The place was filled with old number 7, gator skin boots and stetson hats and a classic country band. This was a certified rootin' tootin texas Honky Tonk if I had ever imagined one. And one thing I forgot about the southwest, they like their burgers as spicey as you can handle with a giant slab of jalepeno meat. My pallet was not ready to handle the rich spices of the Texas burger.

I acted cool, and dropped off my demo reels to the TV stations and didn't wait around for a reply. I don't get the sense that Amarillo is calling my name either.

Scripture: Romans 15:24 "Whensoever I take my journey into Spain, I will come to you: for I trust to ee you in my journey, and to be brought on my way thither ward by you, if first I be somewhat filled with your company."

3 comments:

  1. The Doc tried to prepare your pallet but I guess you just weren't prepared enough for those rich spices. Guess you'll have to go back to the drawing board and return to SLC and hit up some more restaurants with the Doc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting to hear about Amarillo...I have a couple friends from BYU that grew up there. Best of luck in the next town!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you didn't post a scripture for the second day running, here's one for ya!

    3rd Nephi 27:29

    :D Keep on keepin' on!

    Oh, and will your number change since you are getting a new phone?

    ReplyDelete