Monday, April 27, 2009

Day 4 Grand Junction C.O. song: Slow Ride- Foghat


This morning I woke up to the sound of an irritated father scolding his children for goofing around on the campground. The one disadvantage to sleeping at a KOA.

My phone has been busted for two days and I was due for another free phone anyway. The gentleman (name is Todd) who sold me the phone at the local Sprint store spotted my BYUI shirt. After a small conversation one thing led to another and he told me he knew someone in broadcasting I could call to speak with, that and he offered for me to play Dodge Ball with his ward that evening.

Staying in Grand Junction wasn’t apart of my plans, but the town was surprisingly big and I thought, “why not.” Besides, ever since I met Daniel and Chris, I have been inspired to slow down my pace across the U.S. and enjoy myself. So I called up Todd’s (dude from sprint) friend the broadcaster and left him a message. While I waited his phone call I saw the History of Western Colorado Museum, and I saw some really cool stuff and I learned all about Colorado. Then I went to Monument National Park. That was the most impressive national park yet. Its unbelievable, another sensory over load of dramatic 2000ft cliffs driving slowly over windy roads with high winds next to some of the largest rock formations in the U.S.

I spent the day in Grand Junction waiting for this call, but I got nothing. That is ok, it was worth a shot. I still dropped off some resumes at the local radio stations.
So I took up Todd’s offer for Dodge Ball. I met a lot of people in his ward and had some fun. I sustained minimal injuries and nobody on the court lost their Christianity from anger. My experience with competitive ward sports says that even well behaved men while playing ward sports can fall into what Thomas Hobbes would call, “Man’s State of Nature.”

After the game Todd took me to his place and we watched some of the Jazz and Laker game and the latest Office episode. Him and his roommate Grant offered for me to stay on their couch for the evening. They were awesome. I couldn’t express how grateful I was of them letting a complete stranger into their home and letting me sleep their fully knowing I would have done ok on a campground. I was thankful for having the Holy Ghost with me on this trip. And its good that I have been shaving regularly. (no mustache)

Scripture: Doctrine and Covenants 62:7

“I, the Lord, am willing, if any among you desire to ride upon horses, or upon mules, or in chariots, he shall receive this blessing , if he receive it rom the hand of the Lord, with a thankful heart.”

2 comments:

  1. Randy! I got wind that you were doing this by Ben. Just wanted to let you know that Ashley and I are following you every day. I think it's totally rad that you are doing something this cool. Be safe, have fun, and keep the blog going, brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Holy Ghost is an amazing compass, eh? Notice how I feel I have to comment on every blog? The week's been crazy, so I'm glad I had this to look forward to on my Thursday morning :D

    ReplyDelete