Friday, April 24, 2009

Day 2 Green River Utah, song:Lost Highway - Hank Williams Sr.


The Ely Nevada Ghost train was pretty rad. It was an honest little musuem that didn't try and trap the uneducated tourist. It was an old railroad yard run by volunteers who just did tours for the love of the sport. This was how they enjoy spending their retirement. That meant they gave their all.Other than that, Ely is not a honeymoon spot, even if you have a terrific sense of humor.
I couldn't find the radio station out there, I didn't try very hard either, I don't think that Ely is a good start for me.

I pulled out and drove 2 hours east to the "Great Basin" national park. I was told it is the least attended to national park in the U.S. It must be because of its isolated spot, because the park is incredible. I got a guided tour in the Lehman caves where I was bunched with a bunch of folks wearing gift shop t-shirts tucked into their little kacky shorts, grocery store gardening hats, wrap around sunglasses and fanny packs. I only wish I brought some of those kinds of cloths. but the tour was great, I got some photos of the most evolved and unique gothic cave in the world. It was like going on the Matterhorn in Disney land without the coaster, and much cooler. At any moment I half expected to turn around and see the Batmoble all gassed up and ready to ride. Half way through, the tour guide told us, "This is where they found bones in the 1860's. We found this cave was an ancient Indian Burial ground for thousands of years." I couldn't believe she told us that. I spent the rest of the tour praying that my road trip wouldn't be hexed as I apologized to all the Indians I had disgraced.

Driving through southern Utah on 70 should be a vacation destination on its own. Its really the most incredible sight you have ever driven through. The dramatic rocks and mountains are breathtaking. I am becoming a nature hippy already and I am only on the second day of the trip.
I pulled into the KOA at greenriver and properly pitched my tent this time. While pickin' my guitar, I met a couple of good ole' boys from Alabama. Brothers, Daniel and Chris, they had the deep south accents that would make Larry the Cable Guy, weep. They too are traveling across the country. But they have been at it for weeks. They are taking a week in southern Utah to see all of the parks. They said its one of the best places in the country so far. I don't doubt it. But we sat and talked and they drank from their tall cans and told me stauries 'bout tha tiime when dey was so druunk, one fell of a bluff foa forty feet, and they were like "shoot, I don't even caire." And den when dey got uup, they were surrounded by a bunch of coyotes.
They also told me a story about how Hank William Sr. wrote the song "Mansion on a Hill" about their grandmother.... supposedly. They love their country twangy and their rock music loud and proud..... My kind of boys.
I couldn't have laughed harder at their stories, they were the funniest guys, and they had no idea of it.We talked the whole night and I had seriously felt like I made friends with the Dukes of Hazard.

After that I went to bed where I began to think in my head with a deepsouth accent. I noticed that the stars NEVER seemed this bright before or this close. It was really beautiful and peaceful as I whistled the old star trek theme and dreamed about boldly going where no man has gone before. Or at least I haven't gone before.

Thats Alll I got fuh noaw. See y'all later

Scripture of the day: 3rd Nephi 12:16Therefore, let your light so shine before this people, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

1 comment:

  1. That accent is hard to get out of your head, for sure. Just wait till you hit WV! By the way, I'm really beginning to wish I could look for my mission stuff in person-- guess my dad reorganized the basement and they can't find the box anywhere...hopefully by the time you get to WV you'll have Max's numero!

    ReplyDelete