Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Mission


My name is Randy Cliff Peterson, I am recent college graduate from BYU-Idaho, with a bachelors in Communications (broadcasting) searching for a career during a time of Economic crisis. Broadcasting being cut-throat enough as it is, seems that it is going to be a challenge bigger than most anyone can handle in terms of finding my first professional full time job. I however, am not going to give up and quit. I will not go gently into the night as I sit in my parents house and work at fast food as I await the for the economic situation to disappear and get an e-mail of someone interested in my work.


So I am traveling across the United states for forty days searching employment. I am bringing a map of every town I have ever wanted to see and a list of radio and T.V. stations that I have applied to and I want to get a chance to be interviewed and critiqued. I have business cards, resume's and demo reels to hand out to anyone interested in giving me a chance.



I am also writing a book on the experience. I am journaling this travel in order document and learn from the experience in hopes that it might help someone else.



The Current working title is called, "A Letter to Bob Dylan." This is because I intend to answer the question he asks by telling him EXACTLY how it feels to be on my own, with no direction home, like a complete unknown, like a Rolling Stone.



During this time will be a mission of personal reflection and growth as I see the U.S. and as I visit the historical sites. Many of them music oriented much like in Memphis, New York, Kansas City, Austin, Nashville, Cleveland etc.



Along with my search for meaning and a career, I will be visiting museums and pieces of historical landmarks across the nation. I will be analyzing the countries history and its reflection on humanity while I am out there. I will have an agenda for everyday and I will have to panhandle with my guitar and an array of Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan tunes to finance the journey. I will be camping out at most towns and I will be meeting as many people as possible and hoping to make friends.



I don't have a back-up plan and I don't know what I would call successful, the only thing I expect is that it will not go exactly as planned, in fact, I hope it doesn't. I am excited to see the U.S. and terrified as well. But as a bachelor with no responsibilities, this may be the one and only chance I ever get to do this. I look forward to sharing my stories on this blog.



Randy Cliff Peterson

6 comments:

  1. I am excited to hear about your stories! I love the title... very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, Randy! Good luck on your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like a complete unknown. Hey, as your favorite Professor and fan of Robert Zimmerman, can I write the forward?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I could make the trip with you. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a blast!! Hopefully I will get Max's addey to you before you hit WV!! :D

    And BE CAREFUL!!

    And leave the sweater stories off the blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I somehow didn't hear about this until I saw something about it on facebook. 1, I need to hear or read the Jim Carrey story sometime! Message me or something Id love to hear. 2, I think this is truly awesome. What an incredible idea. As you appear to be around halfway done, I wish you the best of luck in the second half!

    ReplyDelete