Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Day 70 Hollywood C.A. song: Hello New Day - Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers


Today I woke up with the Eye of the Tiger. I got my tough boxer jaw all revved up and ready to go. I cracked my neck as I steped out into the smoggy Los Angeles sky, put on my Ray-Ban glasses and said in my best Clint Eastwood voice, "Lets make this Kitty Purr!"

I drove on out to the Cartoon network to apply for a production assistant job. I know that I am qualified for that job. I would do well. We will see what happens. I applied at several radio stations....Nothing. BUT, today for some reason, I felt invinsible. Today if a mugger were to attack me, I think he would have gotten mugged. Yes, for some odd reason, I felt like a Bad-@$$.

Then I walked in for my appointment to Capital Records. For those of you who don't know, Capital records is like a giant monument to Hollywood. They own the label to Frank Sinatra, the Beatles, The Beachboys, Coldplay, Radiohead, Bob Seger, Beastie Boys, etc.. The building itself is legendary and somewhat of a Wonka Chocolate factory for musicians. Nobody comes in and nobody comes out. Today, I WENT IN!!!

My great almost lifetime friend Ravi the accomplished film maker gave me a connection to an A&R rep. (A&R is the dude who discovers and sells the talent to the execs. He is the angel of mercy to all musicians). I had an appointment at nearly the top floor of this building with an office that overlooks the skyline of Los Angeles. We spoke on the music industry. Because I am a former music biz major and the former manager to Jackie Greene, I know it REAL well. We talked and talked and it was my dream, but here is why it was interesting.

The gentlemen Ankur, is a really humble and cool dude. We had actually met a few times before. He just got promoted to being in his job not two weeks ago. His story is great. He told me how in 3 short years he climbed the latter to the top. It was inspiring. He did what ever slick and seedy thing he had to to get into the door. And when he was in as an intern, he proved himself, not just by his work ethic and hussle to get the job he was asked done, but to open up the eyes of everyone to show how much more can be done. He did way more than what his job asked of him. He made friends and allies he got people to believe in him, but more importantly.... He got to believe in himself. It may have seemed like a long difficult road for him, but getting his job at his age, just seems impossible. But he did it.
He was more than happy to speak with me and to promise to help me in anyway he can. He wants to see me succeed. He even bought me lunch. I was honored.

I came outside to a parking ticket. I didn't even care. I didn't care in the slightest. Tag it on to my tab America. I am going to be a happy tax payer. The Country has given me so much, and I have given it so little. That is going to change for now on.

The night was capped with me and my cousin Paola, Gustavo and his father Gustavo sr, going to Disneyland. I finally gave in and went to Disneyland. I loved it. We got in for free so we just went for a couple of hours. We saw a firework show/light parade, and rode the Space mountain. For the first time in my life, the space mountain was open. And it was awesome.
We saw the jungle cruise ride. Its funny, and I can see why EVERYBODY who goes on it thinks that I would be Ideal for it. And seven years ago I would have, but not anymore. Its not about me. Its about my future family. I need to make a living for several people. What ever that is.
But the REAL highlight of the evening was when I went to revisit the Pirates of the Carribean. For those of you who don't know my epic pirates of the carribean story, ask me sometime.

I had a great night to follow my great day...... The Rockster is back!

scripture: Luke 18:1

3 comments:

  1. hey pal, this was exciting to read as you were in my stomping grounds. what I wouldn't give to have Lars and I join you on this leg of the trip! soak in the sun and perfection for me. did I ever tell you that I used to work at Disneyland? I worked on Storybook Land, or Jungle Cruise JR. So I got to narrate, it was a blast. you're right, it in no way would help you achieve a stellar income to work attractions but it sure was fun. but honestly, there are so many available positions there, and you can go in and tell them what you're looking for and they have tons and tons of well-paying positions as well. just a suggestion, if you're not already gone, go to the casting center (as they call it). i have a pal who works for their TV station and another who produces shows for the park.

    ok, well wow! Look how far you've come! We're so proud. miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "For the first time in my life, the space mountain was open." Ha! That's so funny-true - what's up with that ride?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi... just happen to cross your site... I see that you also love Disney... me too...

    Im planning to go to Tokyo or Hong Kong Disney this Christmas. Hoho and I found some stuffs from Hong Kong Disneyland here as well:
    disneycloth.cwahi.net

    I will definitely take tones of photos there!!!

    ReplyDelete