Friday, July 3, 2009

Day 72 California Coast Highway 1 song: California Sun - The Rivieras




I couldn't decide between songs, Thanks Alot - Johnny Cash, Still counting the days - Goldfinger or several others. But for this drive, California Sun seemed appropriate.

I woke up on the beach of Santa Barbara, it was sweet. There was vollyball playing, kids on a skatepark, old dudes with metal detectors, women jogging and middles aged dudes walking their huge dogs.
Santa barbara I decided is really what people are thinking about when they think of California. They imagine the entire state to look exactly like Santa Barbara. Really rich and fancy beach towns with tall palm trees. Unfortunately, there aren't many place like it out there. Not in Sacramento, or San Francisco. This place looks expensive, however, I am going to try and get a job there anyway. Why not, I can handle the challenge.
The hardest part was finding the radio station. Oh of course the Program director is out to lunch, they go out to lunch for about 8 hours a day, and NEVER want to speak a word to an up and coming broadcaster. They never have any time for it. (I was being cynacle)

Yip, I moved on north after checking out the town. Its where two of my cousins went to school and I don't know how they could get anything done, it looks too much like a vacation. That is the biggest reason I went to Idaho, there would be NO distraction. Besides, I think I was led there.

I stopped off at a place called Santa Ynez. A little farm town in California where I got to pick my own berries in a vinyard. It was awesome, chalk up one more great experience that meant nothing because I was alone. But the town was sweet, it was like an old boom town in the middles of nowhere. I am sure it was filled with Retirees.

When I got to San Luis Obispo I just did my radio but didn't do much else. I drove through the main drag and went on my way.

I drove by the Hearst Castle in San Simeon. Its awesome. I really wanted to go and check it out, but that costs money. Besides, being by myself would be kind of a buzzkill. So I put on my list of things that I save for another day.
That list is really growing, the highway 1 up the california coast is the best drive in the country. I thought it may have been the highway going north from Moab, or maybe the one going through the appalachians, but I decided that it is definately highway 1. This is the most amazing sight in the whole country. I decided If and when I would get married, that our honeymoon would be to ride along the california coastal towns. Very few people, nice beaches. I am not huge on going into the beach, I just like to look at them. I guess I'm glad that this highway was the last thing on the map before I get to sacramento. It made me realize again why it is I took this trip. It was to find a home, and california is my home. THis is who I am, its where i come from. I know the rest of the country seems to hate us. But they can bite me. I went and toured their town, its nothing as cool as the california highway 1. Its absolutelly majestic.

I camped out at a place called Big Sur. Its on a giant bluff by the beach in a national forest. Its really expensive and loaded with campers. I met a nice family by the campsite next to me. They are from Palo Alto C.A. Except the father, he is originally from Ireland. His delightful accent wanted me to keep him talking. He asked me about where I'm going and I told him. He told me his close relative runs a radio station in Ireland and they might like a good American accent on the air. I told him, "Where do I sign?" That would be awesome. It would kind of funny to land a job out there. But, it would be a whole new land to explore.
He and his wife and son spoke for hours by the campfire about music. We talked all about classic rock. And he told me of how he believes the Beatles were so sucessful. He believes that there is a rule that if you put 10,000 hours in one expertise that you will become world class. Much like the Beatles, they put 1000's of hours before they got big. That is for sure. Maybe thats my problem, i haven't put in 1000s of hours yet.
Frank, (the father) and I exchanged e-mails and he told me he would ask about a radio position in Ireland for me. Meeting Frank and his family is just what I needed to make that day to go from a good one, to a great one.

2 comments:

  1. Ireland?!? YES!!! You MUST do it if you get the chance, because then we'd have one more friend in Europe to go pester.
    Also, from the perspective of a girl who had her honeymooon on hwy 1, it's the only way to go.
    :)
    And...despite all my crankiness about the way CA is run and my culture angst about my hometown...there's no place like home. Especially the pacific...>sigh<
    (sorry I haven't been commenting, I just got back from girls' camp. Happy 4th! I'll try and give you a call later tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (This is Matt now) ... That part of CA is a little bit of heaven I dare say. If there was a booming job market, we'd be there in a heartbeat. Good luck on the last leg of your trip and have a great 4th.

    By the way, be sure that your future wife doesn't get carsick while riding on curvy roads. Highway 1 is definitely pretty, but carsickness is a mood killer. ;)

    ReplyDelete