Monday, July 6, 2009

Day 74 San Francisco/Sacramento song: 4th of July - Shooter Jennings


Morning led me to San Francisco, where the ocean is familiar. Growing up so close to the Bay area, I would think that I would have spent more time there. Its really been years since I went there and did anything touristy in the slightest. This day I went into the pier 39 and saw how much bigger it seems now. More cool stuff and more advanced street performers. I saw China town. Its really the only china town in America I like. I thought all the rest of them suck. Most importantly though, I made into the Jazz festival. Right on filmore street they were holding a jazz festival. Whats more American than that? I walked around and saw some great jazz. It was a great way to end my tour.

I drove early in to Sacramento. Not really eager to come back. I don't really feel like I ever want to stop. But I'll get back to that later.

First thing I went to visit my friend Tom in Roseville. I am supposed to watch his house for the week so he gave me the rundown. You should know that Tom is a radio morningshow host who has been a huge support for this journey. Tom has a nice big house in Roseville California which is the nicest area in Sac town. He has a pretty wife and three great kids two dogs and a cat. He is buddies with all his neighbors, his house is full of cool stuff and he is involved with the community. He is a novice at the guitar, loves to fish and is not afraid to admit that he loves the band Queen. To sum it up, Tom lives the life I can only dream of. Watching his house is an honor. I don't aspire that some day i will achieve all of the things he has, but to be as happy and as content, most certainly. We spoke heavily about my journey and my ambitions for radio. His response surprised me. He believes that his generation of radio personalities are the last. They will shut the door and throw away the key when they leave. He encouraged me to do TV. I get a lot of that, but, its really not my passion. He went over why radio isn't going to survive and how the websites are not the answer that I hoped for. He then asked me why I want to do radio so bad. I gave him the same response I gave everybody.
"Because one day, I am counting the 5000 toys we helped bring for toys for tots. The next day, I get to speak with David Lee Roth. The next day, we get to help out the FFA. The next day, we play wiffle ball with some cool people out in the back lot. THe next, I get to host a movie premier and go to a concert and get a free dinner. My life was always exciting. Opportunity was everywhere, I love the music, I love the listeners, I love performers, atheletes, community organizers, special locals, comedians who always came in. Nowhere else can I live life to the fullest like I can in radio."

"Then do it. You have a lot of passion, you will find something. Don't give up. You're right. Yesterday I ran a marathon on the air. I never would have thought I would run a marathon. Last week I got to be at a redcarpet premier. You're right. This job is for you. But you can't base the sum of your career on radio based on the fact you didn't get a job on this journey. There is no set way in the door. I worked hard, but at the end of the day it still felt like luck that I was in the right place at the right time."

I left feeling good. Its nice to know that someone believes in me that knows both me and radio. That is something I just don't get in most places. Its either one or the other. But there is only so much he could do, but he has done more than I could ever ask.

I drove on into Folsom, home of the famous Folsom Prison where Johnny Cash Recorded. I saw some 4th of July Fireworks. Its funny, I really had a big plan to come to Sac town and see fireworks and pretend that it was all for me. I know that it is rediculas. But I thought it would be funny. Independance will carry a new meaning for me that fireworks can never really be adequate to display or represent my appreciation. I didn't watch the firework display for two minutes. This whole trip really made me want to do some time in the military and serve the U.S. Unfortunately that may not be an option for me, but I can think about it. But, amoungst all the crimes, all the harsh realities and mis-use of freedom and democracy, there is something more beautiful than I could have imagined. As hard as it was to see the country bymyself, I really did come back feeling changed. I appreciate what we have more than I ever would have thought I would.

I went and visited my friends the Laverty family before I came to my parents house. They invited me for a fourth of July get together. It was cool. No fireworks, just a little family get together and some good snacks. Fireworks are nice, But I want my independance day celebrations to be more intimate like that. Its so much more than a vacation to the beach with some fireworks imported from china.

The Laverty's asked me questions about the trip and I had a difficult time sounding opitimistic. I guess I didn't really have anyone great sucess story. I had some hard times and had much more struggles than not making contacts. I really wasn't sure how to shine the silver lining. Perhaps its because I don't know what that is yet.

I guess I didn't really have a climatic happy ending. I had sort of a rocky ending. I got to see great friends, meet great friends, see the country and make new discoveries. But somehow it seems very unfinished. VERY unfinished. I don't know why. Perhaps because I still need to follow up on my contacts and get those things done. But I don't think thats it. Something still feels missing. Like I didn't have enough time to think things through.
I never got tire of driving, and I don't know that I ever would have. I honestly wonder if there is enough open road to ever satisfy my need to just think. Maybe truck driving is my calling, or maybe because I can't philosophize all I need in two and a half months. Rene Descartes kept doing philosphy after meditations. Ludwig Wittenstein never stopped doing philosophy, neither did Immanuel Kant. I guess I never stop learning or thinking. I can't think my way into all of lifes answers. I guess I have to take it as it comes. I don't know that I would have been considered very sucessful if i were a native american doing a vision quest, but maybe I would have. Its hard to tell what sucess would entail, But I know I tried my hardest and I died standing up. Thats all I really wanted to do. I did this trip, I saw the goodness of the American people and Learned more about life than I ever did in such a short period of time. Nobody can take that away.


side note, I am not done. I will probably put down a few more entries But I will probably edit a lot of them too and add photos. And when the video is done, It will post that as well. I am tired now and I need to rest. But I want to thank you for taking this journey with me. Without you, I would have been alone.

1 comment:

  1. Some thoughts:
    A) Was the job the only thing you wanted?
    B) You're keeping up w/ your contacts, and I just know something will open up for you. Miracles happen. Somebody somewhere is hiring. Just you wait.
    C) If you had a happy ending and this was a good as it ever got, what would you have to look forward to? Rocky endings to a vision quest just means that the journey isn't over, and I think that's a good thing. I also think you have a WHOLE lot of thoughts to write out/ponder on, and maybe some things will start falling into place for you while you're chilling for a couple of days.
    If you've got time, one of my favorite 'Thoughtful Spots' in California was a little place called William's Pond off the American River. If you go down Arden way (away from Watt and towards Walnut), it dead-ends into the park where the pond is. It's a very good spot for introspection. :)

    p.s. We're SO proud of you. You made it home!!! You learned so much and accomplished SO much. You really do rock, Randy. :)

    ReplyDelete