Saturday, July 4, 2009

Day 73 Santa Cruz C.A. song: Travelin' Song - Jackie Greene


Left Big Sur and said goodbye to my new friends. I hope our paths cross again. Drove north a little to Monterey. They have some great stations out there that I was hoping to get a piece of. I had a connection and I was going to milk it. Unfortunately, everyone took a day off that day. A three day weekend I guess. But, I checked out the town. I sat on the empty breesy beach with my poncho and played surf songs on my guitar. Monterey is a beach towns for wealthier adults. Other than the famous aquarium, it didn't seem like there is much to do.

Off to Santa Cruz. I really had NO desire to hang out there. I just wanted to get my business done and get on out. I stopped at the starbucks and was just about to check for the addresses, and I folded my computer and said "Forget this." My job search is over. This was no point anymore. I am just going to enjoy myself.

As a kid I used to come to Santa Cruz everyother summer. Its a fun place, it has a giant boardwalk, sandy beaches of fun and a lot of punk rockers and hippies crawling all over the place. I used to love it. But such is life, that you grow older and things don't appeal to you as much. Sometimes good memories turn into bad memories when they represent loss. But I decided to rise above that, because I needed to take a nap and what better place than on a beach.
When I woke up there was a volleyball game starting all around me. The dudes and chicks asked me if I would join and I obliged. We had a lot of fun. They take their volleyball playing very seriously because they insisted in high fiving eachother after every play. It was like they just came from volleyball marriage counseling. But they got a kick out of my spark on Chris Webber snarl on the court. I play for keeps.

Then, a couple of cute college girls invited me to do some skim boarding on the beach. That is when you ride a board on about one inch of water where the water divolves into the sand. We had some fun. They invited me to hang out more, But I pretended I had other plans. Just didn't feel like doing anymore with them, I just wanted to be with myself for the remainder of the trip.

I got to the boardwalk on a friday night where they have bands play free shows on a big stage. This week was the two hit wonder band from the early 90's alternative seen, The Smithereens. I used to listen to them in highshool, so I was pretty glad to stay and watch them. However, its been a long time for them, but they sounded great. But to look at them, time was DEFINATELY not good to them. But I can't make fun, those years are rapidly approaching me as well. It was a free show and I enjoyed it.

I left Santa Cruz and was off to San Jose. I drove the streets and got me a hotel. I have only had one other hotel all trip. My Mom offered it to me, because there was no place to camp this weekend without six month ahead reservation. So thats what I did. I enjoyed me a the fanciest super 8 motel I could find and relaxed on the biggest bed I had ever seen. One more day, One more night, just like Diamond Rio once said.

scripture: Alma 32: 41

No comments:

Post a Comment