Monday, April 12, 2010

Love Is the Road - Roger Clyne


On february 14th I had my girlfriend believe that we couldn't see one another. I had her believe that work was bogging me down and I couldn't afford a ticket out. The story was certainly credible, aside from the money I swore not to touch until my retirement, I had nothing in the bank. I have been filling up the hole in savings account that I left when I went on the road and paying off my student loans before the interest tags an extra four grand. And after only having my job for two months with Intel, flying out to see her was not a good idea to risk what might look bad.
I was blessed with a job working for a company called CDI which is an outsourced client of Intel... so basically I work for Intel now. I am on an on-line video production manager. The title actually sounds more intense than it deserves. Not to down-play my position. I am very grateful. I get to appear on camera and do video editing work and be creative. I get to interview individuals who are innovators in the computer tech world. I get to travel and meet some interesting individuals. For the most part I seem to be respected in my position which is terrific. And the best part is, the pay is such that it is concieveable that I can support someone else as well.
The deal is so good that I would hate to mess it up by flying out to Albuquerque when I might be needed on the Folsom C.A. Especially as a fresh out of college hire. However, it is time.

"I have paid my dues, time after time. I've done my sentence but committed no crime. And that mistakes, I have made a few. I have my share of sand kicked in my face, but I have come through." - Freddie Mercury

My girl friend Michelle's mother picked me up from the airport. She helped me create the rouse to help me make Michelle believe i couldn't come out for Valentines Day. Because if she knew... she might have expectations. With Michelle, the element of surprise is everything.

Her favorite resturaunt not far off the path of Route 66 called the Flying star. A very retro sixties resturant, (but not the dennys soda jerk type) but a really cool place that is somewhat for a conosuer, but not a snob. The whole resturaunt knew, when the inquisitive waitresses spread the word. They watched me shake so much I began to sweat from it. When Michelle arrived in the Flying Star on Valentines day, she was still trying to pass the time to try and forget that Valentines day was being spent on her own. I can see her from a distance and I can tell she has no idea as she stands in line to make her order. Knowing the second she sees me she will figure it out, so I had to act instantly. As I cut in line from the guy wearing punk rock freedom spikes and chains, I bow to one knee right behind my unsuspecting girlfriend. She turned around shocked and hysterical.

When the moment was over, I lifted her up as we recieved a large round of applause by the flying star employees and some customers. She was crying when I showed her the very southwestern style engagement ring. She loved it. I did well.

Michelle is the perfect woman for me. Right now, I have a full time job that isn't dead end. I have a woman. I have direction. And I found that I was right. I feel like Freedom is only just beggining. I don't think that Marriage and career and religion bars freedom... but it enables it. The adventures are only to begin. July 3rd, Albuquerque NM Temple.

If I didn't take that road trip, Michelle and I would have never come together, and my path would not have led me to Intel..... Funny how it all works out.
"Funny how everything was roses, when we held on to our guns." - Axl Rose

3 comments:

  1. This makes me very happy to read! Congratulations Randy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's to happy endings, my friend. If anyone deserves one, it's you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey that's me! I am just the luckiest woman alive, aren't I?

    And might I add, the GM of Flying Star gave us some marital advice on a napkin. It said, "Never put a TV in the bedroom." We're thinking of framing that and putting it where the TV would go.

    ReplyDelete