Monday, August 17, 2009

Six Weeks Later

Finding a job from the confines of a computer in my parents house is sobering. I went from one extreme of gutsy job searching to the complete opposite. I am still sending out resumes but still getting little to no response. 
    The trial and error of looking for a job is really teaching me a lot. Unfortunately, the lessons I need to learn seem to be endless in terms of finding a job. Everyone has different advice, and so many conflict.
   I thought carefully about doing a school program called Radio Connection. Its a program where you go to class at a radio station and get private tutoring by a working professional for six months and you get connections to the station you are working with. They have a 70 job placement afterwards and you receive a degree.... After some sound advice from a few professionals I know, I have decided it is a bad idea. For 7500 dollars upfront or more in payments, its not what I am going to do. 
A job may be opening in my old station for the promotions department, part time, but If I get enough remote broadcasts, I can earn some decent money, and be back in radio at a good station... But I have to deal with the fact that I am once again a little fish in a little pond. 
        My plan to move out to Salt Lake City lost its flavour. My buddies who were hoping I would move out their with them, no longer have the space available. Thats ok, I understand. But, I can't think of a good enough reason to pick up and move their now unless I get a good job, but i can only spread my focus so far.
      There is still the reality show the Phoenix Unemployed that I may have a good chance with. I qualify for what they are looking for, I just need to get a massive audience to vote for me. But if they do, I will be getting a steady pay-check for six months, great on the job training, great exposure and a heck of an experience. Unfortunately, I will have to wait until mid-september before I know anything.
      Idaho Falls has a producer/ reporter position opening up again. It may be interesting for me. I don't mind living out their. Reporting or producing isn't exactly what tickles my fancy but a job is a job. If I qualify, and I get a pay check, than that is all that matters. 
      Albuquerque is calling my name a bit. I get the sense from a Music Instruction company that I may qualify well for a good paying job in music instruction. Only problem is, I don't know how many students I can get just yet and I don't know how stable it is. 
      
      Don't worry, I am not losing my gutsyness If a job opportunity comes my way and offers itself to me, I just might take it. But right now, being in limbo its hard to make that leap of Faith. But I guess thats all their is left for me to do. Is to have Faith.

3 comments:

  1. You've got lots of options, which in my world is actually harder, but I hope you keep that faith you've got. It's funny, when I read or hear about other people keeping their faith strong it helps me with mine because I want to say honestly that it will help and not be a hypocrite. I hope that made sense. You're doing great, and remember to thank your family for letting you job search out of their home, some people don"t have that option :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Randy,
    If you are in need of the comic book reading let Brian and I know we are your own personal comic store. Plus we live here in Sac. Loved reading your adventure, sure there will be many more of them.

    Wendi Weston

    ReplyDelete
  3. WENDI, I never realized that was you who was following my blog. I don't know how to get a hold of you guys. My e-mail is rocknrollrandy@hotmail.com
    drop me a line their so I know how to get a hold of you.
    Thanks for reading. Thats awesome.
    Randy

    ReplyDelete